Userpic

Agneta
Traveller
4 comments

Posted 7 years ago

Can we bring our bicycles on board (Paris to Kiel)

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 7 years ago

Hi Agneta,

this depends on your route and on the trains you take. Do you already have tickets? Are you travelling with an Interrail pass or single tickets? Which route do you want to take?

Flo 8)

Userpic

Agneta
Traveller
4 comments

replied 7 years ago

We haven\'t booked any tickets yet. Will bike from Kiel to Paris and hopefully take the train back from Paris to Kiel with our bicycles.. will book single tickets. This will take place in the beginning of May

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 7 years ago

The problem is that bikes are not allowed on the direct high speed trains from Paris to France (neither on Thalys to Cologne nor on ICE/TGV to Frankfurt). However, you can carry bicycles with the wheels dismantled and everything stored in a bag. Would this be an option for you?

Also, do you want to travel from Paris to Kiel within one day or would it be ok to make stopovers en route?

Userpic

Agneta
Traveller
4 comments

replied 7 years ago

Unfortunately, we can\'t dismantle the wheels. It\'s not I portable ant for us to take a speed train. The most important thing is to bring our bikes back. We thought about flying back, but I will cost 4600 euro only for the bikes.
We are living in Sweden and will take the ferry from Kiel to Gothenburg, that\'s why we choose Kiel
So, do you have any other suggestions?
I really appreciate your help.

Userpic

Agneta
Traveller
4 comments

replied 7 years ago

Dear Flo, just a thought!
What if we go from paris to Amsterdam. Make a stop there for a night and from there to Kiel? (With a non speedy train)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 7 years ago

Hmm ok...are these special bikes (tandem, with trailer, etc...)? What you could do is to book a ticket from Paris to Strasbourg with a domestic TGV, here it usually is possible to take regular bikes with you (reservation compulsory); you can book from Omio using our partner link to support our work: [ux]https://rail.shop/omio[/ux] - if it is possible to convey bicycles you can book an additional reservation. Then, you can continue across the Rhine via Kehl to Offenburg and travel from there to Kiel. You can book tickets from Kehl to Kiel from DB (German Railways) via our partner link: [ux]http://rail.shop/bahn[/ux] Please be aware that you cant travel on ICE high speed trains with bikes so you will have to go with slower EC or IC trains.
To get across the border from Strasbourg to Kehl use one of the frequent regional trains; you will need to buy a separate ticket for the short trip, do so locally in Strasbourg.

The question remains whether you would be able to cover Paris - Kehl within one day and get to your ferry in time...
It is also a bit problematic to have to separate tickets; you would have to plan with enough time between Strasbourg and Kehl/Offenburg to cope for possible delays. If you dont make the second train (towards Kiel) because the train is delayed your ticket is void and you cant take a later train with it (unless you pay the full price which will be much more expensive).

Travelling via Amsterdam is not less complicated...apparently the international trains do not convey bicycles either...

Userpic

Agneta
Traveller
4 comments

replied 7 years ago

Dear Flo,
Thank you so much for your information. I will consider all of this and together with my friend we will soon make a decision.
This was worth a lot!!!

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 7 years ago

You\'re welcome! ;)

Please just ask if something is unclear before you book, we try to help as good as we can. :)