Switzerland by train
How to travel in Switzerland by train: information, connections, blog and travel reports. Help in our forum to buy train tickets.
Buy your train ticket online on Omio. The easy to use booking system with good prices and e-tickets.
Railtour.ch offers well organized travel packages for your Glacier Express journey in Switzerland. They are a trustful travel agency in Switzerland with personal service. Click here to find their travel packages prices.
Trainline provides a very simple and comfortable booking system for train tickets in several countries like to/from/in Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, etc. Buy your train tickets without extra fees easily and securely here.
- Bernina Express(BEX)
- Centovalli Express(CEX)
- Centovalli Panorama(CEP)
- Centovalli Regional(CER)
- EuroCity (IT)(EC)
- Glacier Express(GEX)
- Gondelbahn Weggis - Rigi Kaltbad(GB)
- InterCity Neigezug(ICN)
- Regional Express(RE)
- TGV Lyria France - Switzerland(Lyria)
- EN 40462 Budapest - Zurich
- EN 40467 Zurich - Budapest
- EN 414 Belgrade - Zurich
- EN 415 Zurich - Belgrade
- EN 50466 Prague - Zurich
- EN 50467 Zurich - Prague
- IC 208 Basel - Kiel
- IC 209 Hamburg - Basel
- NJ 401 Hamburg - Zurich
- NJ 40470 Zurich - Hamburg
- NJ 464 Graz - Zurich
- NJ 465 Zurich - Graz
- NJ 466 Vienna - Zurich
- NJ 467 Zurich - Vienna
- NJ 470 Zurich - Berlin
- NJ 471 Berlin - Zurich
popular connections travelled by other users
search for train times here
Online timetable information, on which you can find relevant, up-to-date connections.
- AB Appenzeller Bahnen
- ASM Aare Seeland Mobil
- BDWM BDWM Transport
- BET Bergbahnen Engelberg - Trübsee - Kleintitlis
- BGF Bergbahnen Grindelwald – First
- BLM Bergbahn Lauterbrunnen–Mürren
- BLS BLS AG
- BLT Baselland Transport
- BOB Berner Oberland-Bahn
- BRB Brienz-Rothorn-Bahn
- BSG Bielersee Schifffahrt
- CGT Compagnie Générale de Navigation sur le Lac Léman
- CJ Chemins de fer du Jura
- DFB Dampfbahn Furka-Bergstrecke
- FART Ferrovie autolinee regionali ticinesi
- FB Forchbahn
- FLPT Ferrovia Lugano-Ponte Tresa
- FW Frauenfeld-Wil-Bahn
- GGB Gornergratbahn
- HB Harderbahn
- JB Jungfraubahn
- LEB Chemin de fer Lausanne-Echallens-Bercher
- LNM Société de navigation sur les lacs de Neuchâtel et Morat S.A.
- LSMS Stechelberg - Schilthorn
- LTB Ligerz-Tessenberg-Bahn
- LYRIA Lyria
- MBC Transports de la région Morges-Bière-Cossonay
- MGB Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn
- MIB Meiringen-Innertkirchen-Bahn
- MOB Montreux-Oberland-Bernois
- MVR Transports Montreux-Vevey-Riviera
- NStCM Chemin de fer Nyon-Saint-Cergue-Morez
- OeBB Oensingen-Balsthal-Bahn
- PB Pilatusbahn
- RA Regionalps
- RB Rigi Bahnen
- RBS Regionalverkehr Bern-Solothurn
- RhB Rhätische Bahn
- SBB Schweizerische Bundesbahnen
- SGV AG Schifffahrtsgesellschaft des Vierwaldstättersees
- SMF Stöckalp - Melchsee - Frutt
- SMtS St. Imier - Mont Soleil
- SOB Südostbahn
- SSIF Società Subalpina di Imprese Ferroviarie
- SthB Stanserhorn-Bahn
- SZU Sihltal Zürich Uetliberg Bahn
- THURBO THURBO AG
- TILO Treni Regionali Ticino Lombardia
- TMR Transports de Martigny et Régions
- TPC Transports Publics du Chablais
- TPF Transports publics fribourgeois
- TRAVYS Transports Vallée de Joux - Yverdon-les-Bains - Ste-Croix
- TRN Transports Régionaux Neuchâtelois
- URh Schweizerische Schifffahrtsgesellschaft Untersee und Rhein
- WAB Wengernalpbahn
- WB Waldenburgerbahn
- WSB Wynental- und Suhrentalbahn
- ZB Zentralbahn
- ZSG Zürichsee-Schifffahrtsgesellschaft AG
Switzerland - Austria
To travel from Switzerland to Austria by train, use one of the frequent train connections. The direct Railjet trains offer as well discount tickets. It is possible to travel by night train from Zurich in direction of Vienna and Graz. Please use the given booking links to find schedules and ticket prices.
Switzerland - Czech Republic
To travel by train from Switzerland to the Czech Republic, the most comfortable option is by direct night train from Zurich to Prague. Otherwise it is a longer trip either via Germany (Stuttgart/Nuremberg/Munich) or via Austria (Innsbruck/Linz).
Switzerland - Germany
To travel from Switzerland to Germany by train, use one of the frequent connections, also by night train. There are very attractive advance fares (Sparpreis Europa) available from Deutsche Bahn (German railways). Please use the given booking links to find schedules and ticket prices. As train travel within Switzerland is quite expensive the advance fares offered by Deutsche Bahn to many destinations in Germany are a very good deal.
Switzerland - Spain
To travel by train from Switzerland to Spain, you have several routes you can use. Either from Switzerland via Paris, via Mulhouse and Lyon or Geneva to Barcelona. Please have a look at the booking links we offer, there the best options will show up and you find ticket prices and schedules.
From Barcelona continue to your destination. If it is not possible to book your ticket in one step from Switzerland, add a second ticket for Spain via Renfe.
Switzerland - France
To travel from Switzerland to France by train, use one of the frequent high-speed train connections. There are direct trains from Switzerland (Basel and Zurich) to France (Paris). But also local trains, for example via Geneva if you want to travel to southern France. Please use the following booking links to find schedules and ticket prices, which depends on the date of your travel.
Switzerland - Croatia
If you want to travel from Switzerland to Croatia by train, buy your train ticket via one of the given booking links or locally at a train station in Switzerland.
There is one daily night train available from Zurich (Switzerland) to Zagreb (Croatia).
Switzerland - Hungary
To travel by train from Switzerland to Hungary, you have a direct overnight train from Zurich to Budapest and one direct day train (Railjet).
Switzerland - Italy
To travel from Switzerland to Italy by train, use one of the frequent connections. For example the direct EC trains from Zurich (Switzerland) to Milan (Italy). Milan is usually the city to change to further destinations in Italy. First buy a ticket from Switzerland to Milan. Then a second ticket from Milan to your final destination in Italy. Please use the following booking links to find schedules and ticket prices. In Italy discount tickets are often available if you avoid peak travel times. For long-distance travel in Italy, have a look at their night trains.
Instead of the direct route from Switzerland to Italy, you can also have a very scenic trip trough the Alps. Read therefore our blog.
Switzerland - Liechtenstein
To travel by train from Switzerland to Liechtenstein, you have to use a local train from Buchs SG (Switzerland). The railway line is operated by Austrian railways ÖBB. The station name for Vaduz (Liechtenstein) is Schaan-Vaduz.