Romania by train
How to travel in Romania by train: information, connections, blog and travel reports. Help in our forum to buy train tickets.
- 105/401 Chisinau - Bucharest
- 117/381 Kiev - Bucharest
- 380/118 Bucharest - Kiev
- 402/106 Bucharest - Chisinau
- Bosfor Istanbul - Bucharest
- Bosfor Bucharest - Istanbul
- D 1460/460 Thessaloniki - Bucharest
- D 461/1461 Bucharest - Thessaloniki
- EN 346 Bucharest - Vienna
- EN 347 Vienna - Bucharest
- EN 472 Bucharest - Budapest
- EN 473 Budapest - Bucharest
- IC 406 Brașov - Budapest
- IC 407 Budapest - Brașov
- IR 10641 Bucharest - Cluj-Napoca
- IR 10642 Cluj-Napoca - Bucharest
- IR 1641/1648 Bucharest - Bistrița
- IR 1641/4090 Bucharest - Satu Mare
- IR 1641/4541 Bucharest - Târgu Mureș
- IR 1643/4133 Bucharest - Sighetu Marmației
- IR 1649/1644 Bistrița - Bucharest
- IR 1653 Bucharest - Vatra Dornei
- IR 1654 Vatra Dornei - Bucharest
- IR 1667 Bucharest - Iași
- IR 1668 Iași - Bucharest
- IR 1695 Bucharest - Timișoara
- IR 1696 Timișoara - Bucharest
- IR 1741 Bucharest - Satu Mare
- IR 1742 Satu Mare - Bucharest
- IR 1754 Suceava - Bucharest
- IR 1755 Bucharest - Suceava
- IR 1755/5581 Bucharest - Botoșani
- IR 1765 Iași - Timișoara
- IR 1766 Timișoara - Iași
- IR 1766/5570 Timișoara - Botoșani
- IR 1821 Constanța - Arad
- IR 1822 Arad - Constanța
- IR 1837 Iași - Timișoara
- IR 1838 Timișoara - Iași
- IR 1843/4135 Timișoara - Sighetu Marmației
- IR 4091/1642 Satu Mare - Bucharest
- IR 4136/1644 Sighetu Marmației - Bucharest
- IR 4136/1765 Sighetu Marmației - Timișoara
- IR 4550/1644 Târgu Mureș - Bucharest
- IR 5482/1754 Bicaz - Bucharest
- IR 5571/1765 Botoșani - Timișoara
- IR 5584/1754 Botoșani - Bucharest
popular connections travelled by other users
search for train times here
Online timetable information, on which you can find relevant, up-to-date connections.
Romania - Austria
To travel from Romania to Austria by train, we recommend you a direct night train. You find the exact schedule and ticket prices via our booking links.
It is also possible to split your route. First from your departure place in Romania to Budapest (Hungary). From Budapest you continue by Railjet train to Austria (Vienna, Graz, Linz, Salzburg).
It might be the case that you have to book more than one ticket.
1) First one from your departure place to the place you enter the international train to Austria (Bucharest, Brașov, Sighișoara, Arad, Timișoara)
2) Then for the international train itself.
3) And finally one in Austria if you continue to a smaller place.
Romania - Bulgaria
To travel from Romania to Bulgaria by train, buy your train ticket locally at a train station in Romania. You will find international ticket counters at the train stations of larger cities. There are no online tickets available.
There are two rail connections between Romania and Bulgaria, both cross the Danube on a large bridge: from Giurgiu to Ruse, where the train from Bucharest to Sofia runs and from Calafat to Vidin.
Romania - Hungary
To travel from Romania to Hungary by train, buy your ticket from international ticket offices at stations in Romania or online on the website of CFR. There are a number of offers available, including discounts on regular one-way or return tickets as well as advance saver fares.
You can also buy online tickets from Hungarian Railways MAV START, however online tickets from MAV START have to be printed from ticket machines at stations in Hungary!
International services run mainly from Bucharest either via Brasov - Sibiu/Sighisoara - Simeria or Craiova - Timisoara to Arad and then via the Curtici/Lököshaza border crossing to Budapest. Additional international express trains run from Brasov - Cluj Napoca - Oradea via the Episcopia Bihor/Biharkeresztes border crossing to Budapest.
Romania - Moldova
To travel from Romania to Moldova by train, buy your tickets at a railway station. There are no online tickets available.
From Bucharest there is a direct night train via Iasi to Chisinau. Additionally there are local trains from Iasi across the border to Ungheni with connections to Chisinau.
Romania - Serbia
If you want to travel from Romania to Serbia by train, the only connection is from Timisoara to Vrsac where two daily trains run. There are connecting trains from many destinations in Romania to Timisoara, including Brasov, Cluj and Bucharest and from Vrsac to Belgrade
Special offers are available for the trip from Timisoara to Belgrade. Buy it locally at a station in Romania. To get to Timisoara you can buy an online ticket from CFR (Romanian Railways) or buy a through ticket from your departure station to your destination in Serbia at a railway station.
Romania - Turkey
To travel from Romania to Turkey by train, buy your train ticket locally at a train station in Romania. There are no online tickets available.
The only direct rail connection between the two countries is the line via Bulgaria and the Svilengrad/Kapikule border crossing to Istanbul. Currently the night train from Bucharest and Sofia to Istanbul is the only service across the border.
In addition to this night train there are many bus connections available. These buses are quicker if you are travelling for example from Burgas (Bulgaria) to Istanbul.
Romania - Ukraine
If you want to travel from Romania to Ukraine, buy your ticket locally at a station in Romania. There are no online tickets for international journeys available.
Currently, the only border crossing with international trains between Romania and Ukraine is between Suceava and Vadul Siret. There are two daily trains, one of which runs from Bucharest to Vadul Siret. At Vadul Siret there are gauge changing facilites and a night train from Bucharest to Kyiv runs here once weekly. You also have local trains connecting from Vadul Siret to Chernivtsi.
Another option to travel between the two countries is the border crossing between Sighetu Marmatiei and Solotvino. There are night trains from Timisoara and Bucharest to Sighetu, from where you can walk across the border to Solotvino in Ukraine. From there you can take the night train to Lviv or local trains towards Batovo, or travel by bus to Rakhiv from where you can also continue by train.