Userpic

d1winston
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 15 years ago

I am an Irish ERASMUS student in Portugal, I am visiting Lisboa next week and have a week free from university, i was thinking of buying a one country pass and seeing some of the rest of portugal, does any one have any ideas where i should go and what i should see?? I only have a week.
HELP!!! hehe

Follow this topic
Userpic

Fonfon
Traveller
3 comments

replied 15 years ago

Hello

I can give you some cities to visit!

In the south, you can to our beaches at Algarve - Sagres, Albufeira, Faro
And then, you go up?? a little bit and visit Alentejo - Évora, Reguengos de Monsaraz
you mus go to our capital Lisboa..

then you must visit at north of portugal - Porto, Ponte de Lima

Userpic

Joana_Portugal
Traveller
2 comments

replied 15 years ago

Hey!

So you have a week in Lisbon... here are some suggestions!

- The [b]city's downtown[/b] (old part) is really beautiful and very characteristic so you can't miss it! [b]I suggest[/b], if you like to walk, going from Marquês de Pombal (a roundabout in the center) down through the Av. da Liberdade, passing the Rossio and all the way to Praça do Comércio. After that, go to your left (if you're facing the river - Tejo) and go up till you find the Sé de Lisboa and after that the castle (Castelo de S. Jorge, with an awesome view!). It's a long way but it's really worth it. Just as a [b]curiosity[/b], in the summer - 12 and 13 June - we have the Santos Populares, a tipical party where some parades take place in Av. da Liberdade, and where everybody goes out to the streets - old part of the city like Alfama, Sé de Lisboa, Castelo de s. Jorge... - walking, drinking, dancing... it's really different!)
- [b]Parque das Nações[/b], the place where the Expo98 took place and where we have for example the Oceanário, a giant aquarium (take the subway, red line until the last stop oriente)
- [b]Belém[/b], in Lisbon but not in the center (go to Cais do Sodré and take a train to Belém, really quick) - there eat a pastel de nata, the tipical sweet and visit Mosteiro dos Jerónimos (monastaire), Padrão dos Descobrimentos, Centro Cultural de Belém and Torre de Belém
- [b]Sintra[/b], outside the city (eat a travesseiro, the tipical sweet) - it's beautiful, all of it... (go to Cais do Sodré and take a train to Sintra, it's 1,20€ if i'm not mistaken)
- [b]Cascais[/b], outside the city (go to Cais do Sodré and take a train to Cascais, 1,20€ too. along the way you can see the river which becomes the sea after a while...)
- [b]Cristo Rei[/b], a monument on the other side of the river from where you can have one of the best views over Lisbon (go to Cacilhas, near the Praça do Comércio and take the boat to Almada. there catch the bus nº101 to Cristo Rei)

At night:
- You MUST go to [b]Bairro Alto[/b] at night (that's THE place to go to drink something while walking from bar to bar between lots of people!) - the bars close around 2am (subway to baixa-chiado station)
- To really go out ([b]discos[/b]), try Lux or Kapital which are some of the most known discos in the city, although you have lots and lots of them! They start to have people at about 1am/2am and keep open for a long time!

Apart from Lisbon, here are some of our most known cities: [b]Porto[/b] (2nd most important city in Portugal, very beautiful too), [b]Coimbra[/b] (mostly known by its academic spirit), [b]Costa Alentejana[/b] (coast - REALLY beautiful views, lots of beaches with different shapes, great to relax - except for the summer where it absolutely gets alive!!!), [b]Faro[/b] (the capital of Algarve, the southest region of Portugal where you can find great people and nice landscapes!). You have also lots of cities with really beautiful monuments but I think that if you have only 1 week probably you should focus on the rest...

I hope this gives you an idea of what you can do in Portugal, even though there's much more to see. Anything else just ask!

Have fun!!!