Userpic

Thomas S
Traveller
26 comments

Posted 16 years ago

So, my girlfriend and I are taking the ferry from Bari to Igounomitsa tomorrow at 8 pm. None of us carry sleeping bags or such (only clean sheets), since we dont need it for the rest of the journey.

Now I'm wondering - how much exactly is included in the interrail ticket? We can stay on the deck, but does that mean staying outside all night long (clearly not an option at this season), or should we be able to find a seat, a carpeted floor or something else inside the ferry? And if not, should we go for the air seats (what is that?) or the dorm beds?

Follow this topic
Userpic

admin
Traveller
203 comments

replied 16 years ago

Hi there,

I read somewhere that you can find floor space inside the ferry and can find ordinary seats and benches. But it's too late as you've already made the journey!

I'll be taking that trip in July so can you make a post on your experience and give some advice to us. Thanks. Hope your tour is great.

iaink

[quote]So, my girlfriend and I are taking the ferry from Bari to Igounomitsa tomorrow at 8 pm. None of us carry sleeping bags or such (only clean sheets), since we dont need it for the rest of the journey.

Now I'm wondering - how much exactly is included in the interrail ticket? We can stay on the deck, but does that mean staying outside all night long (clearly not an option at this season), or should we be able to find a seat, a carpeted floor or something else inside the ferry? And if not, should we go for the air seats (what is that?) or the dorm beds?[/quote]

Userpic

Thomas S
Traveller
26 comments

replied 15 years ago

We made the Bari-Igoumenitsa-journey alright.

First piece of advice: Don't do it on a Friday, like we did. Several groups of Greek school pupils were returning home from some kind of excursion, taking up a lot of space.

We were planning on either a dorm bed or an air seat (which is a reclining set, bit like seats on an airplane), but when we arrived at the port, four-five hours before departure, everything was full. Our choices were either a deck ticket or two beds in a proper cabin (or, we could've stayed in Bari for the night, but Bari might very well be the ugliest and dodgiest Italian city I've been to). We chose the cabin option, and after paying 100 euro each (gah!), we could board. And we didn't even sleep very well.

Don't really know about deck space, there's some (hard) benches outside on the deck, and one might be able to find chairs or carpeted floor on the inside. Don't expect to be comfortable, though, and expect smelling of smoke when you get up.

So my advice: If possible, book ahead, avoid Fridays/weekends, bring earplugs and sleeping backs if you intend to sleep on deck. It's rough getting up at Igoumenitsa, btw, you have to get up at about 5:30 greek time, which means 4:30 Italian time...