Userpic

Christopher
Traveller
14 comments

Posted 15 years ago

Hello everyone.

I have a Natwest current account and I will almost certainly be entering my overdraft whilst in Europe.

The bank have told me that I will have no problems using it in Europe, but there's still that nagging little worry in the back of my mind that I'll have a problem.

Has anyone here gone into their overdrafts whilst travelling? Anyone had any problems?

Thanks.

Follow this topic
Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 15 years ago

If you have an agreed overdraft then it shouldnt be a problem - ive never tried however. Just be aware the Natwest Debit Card is RUBBISH for use abroad, min £2 charge on cash withdrawal, £1.25 on top of every transaction, and a loaded exchange rate.

If you can, find ANY other way to take money abroad, as you will just be throwing money at Natwest. If you have time, get a Nationwide debit card, and throw your overdraft in there for the duration of you trip

Source: [u]http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cards/cheaper-spending-overseas[/u]

Userpic

Christopher
Traveller
14 comments

replied 15 years ago

That was my original plan, but unfortunately I've left it too late and I wouldn't get the card in time as I'm leaving a week on Sunday.

It's a pain in the arse about the charges, but there's really nothing I can do about it now. I can't walk around with cash on me...

At this stage I'd rather have money and pay a little bit for it than no money at all!

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 15 years ago

You could get some travellers cheques, there a bit of a pain, but cheaper than your debit card. And try to get out as much cash as you think is safe at once, and split it up around yourself/group, as you will be charged less

Userpic

Christopher
Traveller
14 comments

replied 15 years ago

Could someone give me a brief, hands-on, 1st hand description of how travellers checks work please? And what are the pros and cons of taking this route?

I was planning on heading to France with e100, and then making several withdrawals of e100 as and when I need it. I figure I'll be charged like £30 for this overall, which isn't TOO bad I suppose.