Use of Interrail outside country of residence

jantblom @ 09-03-2009 14:58

Swedish resident planning to travel parts of southern and eastern europe, 10 traveldays on a 22 day period.
Want to reach Barcelona by flight, spend about a week there before heading to Genua or somewhere near in Italy by boat before activating the interrail ticket.
1 Can the ticket be bought i spain?
2 Can I start using (acivate) the ticket anywhere, even outside country of residence?
3 There are some ferrylines with discounts connected to the ticket, does the ticket have to be activated before using these discounts or do I simply have to prove ownership of Interrail ticket to use the discounts?
4 Does a nighttrain, leaving in the evening - entering in the morning, consume two traveldays?

Pete @ 09-03-2009 16:42

Hi.
Here are your answers...

1) you can buy it at a big big railway station. Try to speak Spanish and check if you get a correct one!
2) you chose the starting day of your ticket when purchasing it. So the ticket activates itself by the date you selected.
3) no... no discounts. The ticket has to be active.
4) if it is a direct night train leaving after 1900h in the evening then yes. But not on the first day your ticket is valid. For the details read: https://rail.cc/en/interrail-night-train

Have fun on your tour, Peter 🙂

Please login to write a message.

about railcc: We are real travellers and offer honest and well-grounded tips and tricks for your train journey.

rail.cc is partner and friend of
Deutsche Bahn Logo
Interrail Logo
Eurail Logo
Omio Logo
Trainline Logo
ACPRail Logo
NS Logo
SNCB Logo
Booking.com Logo
China Highlights Logo
12GoAsia Logo
Flixtrain Logo
Inlandsbanan Logo
Nightjet Logo
SJ Logo
RealRussia Logo
Kiwi.com Logo
Airbnb Logo
DJI Logo
Rentalcars Logo

COOKIES: by use of the railcc website, you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy. For further information about the use and management of our cookies, we ask you to accept our cookies policy.