Userpic

Kucifus
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 16 years ago

Budget of £2200 (about 3000 euros i think)
Both pretty weedy, if it came to a rough situation... i dunno
Both leaving STRAIGHT after exams
Want to do France/Germany/Benelux/Italy/Switzerland/Austria
1 month

Can we do it? Is the budget too little?

Ive been wanting to do this for years, but realistically... can i do it?

Follow this topic
Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 16 years ago

I assume the budget is for the 2 of you...
yes, of course you can as long as you are sensible. Unfortunately, the countries you want to visit are some of the most expensive in europe, and the euro is strong atm. If you dont mind hostelling (maybe camping) and cooking your own meals where possible, it should be completly doable

Calculator: [u]https://rail.cc/en/overall-costs[/u]

Good luck and have fun!

Userpic

Miro
Traveller
65 comments

replied 16 years ago

The euro is strong, but every of those countries is cheaper than the UK... In France you can eat very well in cheap little restaurants. In Italy camping is quite expensive. Just look for this kind of stuff, so you can find out what is the cheapes way of staying in a country. Besides, in every country, big cities are much more expensive than small ones or countryside... You could also check out if the canteens on universities are opened when you're in the neighbourhood, they usually sell cheap food over there...

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 16 years ago

with that budget you won't need to camp anywhere...

i usually spend 1000e for a month including the ticket!

Userpic

Kucifus
Traveller
2 comments

replied 15 years ago

Thanks for the help guys :)

Okay, that covers costs fairly well, which were my biggest worry by far.

But im curious about safety, how rough is it? Do you often get tense situations or... mugged, or whatever?

Thanks for the replies, again, you have no idea how much it helps to hear from people who have done this. All the advice i hear is from people who havnt ever done it, and that advice is iffy.

Userpic

admin
Traveller
203 comments

replied 15 years ago

Hi there,

You'll find that almost everywhere you go, you'll be among other backpackers like yourselves. This can be quite reassuring. Even though you are in a new place, try not to look lost. Don't have your camera dangling round your neck and your wallet in your back pocket. Being too cautious, though, will reduce the enjoyment of your holiday and if you look too tough you'll scare off some people and might make others act aggressively. It's about getting a balance between being wary and having fun.

I'm a wee guy who has done many thousands of miles lone Interrailing and my advice is to learn little bits of polite language for each place that you'll go. Poeple will be more friendly than if you just do loud English at them. Carry yourself confidently but in a culturally sensitive manner. Look at how the locals act and try to blend in. Be friendly and smile a bit. It works. You'll find people will respond well if you show that you're a nice guy. I've had some aggressive beggars - just keep walking - the occasional menacing moment and thousands of great memories. And I'll be going again this year for more. Have a most excellent trip.

iaink

[quote]Thanks for the help guys :)

Okay, that covers costs fairly well, which were my biggest worry by far.

But im curious about safety, how rough is it? Do you often get tense situations or... mugged, or whatever?

Thanks for the replies, again, you have no idea how much it helps to hear from people who have done this. All the advice i hear is from people who havnt ever done it, and that advice is iffy.[/quote]