Userpic

CarbonCapture
Traveller
3 comments

Posted 5 years ago

I\'m traveling from Malmö to the south of Germany by ferry + train.
I\'ve been trying to understand how much transfer time to budget for the ferry connection but it\'s very difficult with the information available online.
Db.de accounts for 30min of transfer from "Travemünde Skandinavienkai (Fähre), Lübeck" to "Bus 30/40". It seems a lot: why is that?

Also, there seems to be a close-by station called "Travemünde Skandinavienkai Bahnhof, Lübeck" but...unreachable by foot from the terminal, is that correct?

Overall quite confusing with the 3 station entries for just "Travemünde Skand." in db.de.

Follow this topic
Userpic

Wouter
Traveller
102 comments

replied 5 years ago

Hi,

Interesting question. Not the first ferry I would have thought about.
Most people just take the train via Denmark, but as I\'m interested as well I had a quick search:

Travemünde:
Take the train to the Lübeck Central Station and switch to the bus route 30, 31 or 40, which destination is Skandinavienkai Terminal. Alternatively, take the train to the station Lübeck-Travemünde Skandinavienkai, and then switch to the bus 30 or 40 towards Skandinavienkai Terminal.

From the bus stop you will find the \'Hafenhaus\', this will probably be your departing location.
It has a 15 minute service by bus, so travelling towards the terminal shouldn\'t be a problem I guess. Bus price is about €3,20.
The nearest train station named Lüback-Travemünde Skandinaviankai. Your options are or to take 1 bus stop to the train station, or all the way on the bus towards Lüback ZOB.

Malmö:
The public transportation to the North harbour is still under development. Bus route 35 departs from the Malmö City Centre. Get off at the bus stop Aspögatan and switch to the bus route 34, which destination is North harbour. From the bus stop Hemsögatan there is about 1 km walk to the Lappö-gatan.

But from my extra search, there are some problems with the busses nummers in this harbour area... Most resent information is only showing 32 in the morning

- all passengers without vehicles are driven by minibuses from the terminal to the vessel and vice versa.

It is 100% allowed to take this ferry on foot, but let me say, from what I\'m reading, I\'m curious about how this works. As you mentioned, there\'s very little information available online.
30 minutes from the boat to the bus seems reasonable. But I would take 1 hour in mind, just to be safe.
I hope it will work out for you.

Wouter.

Userpic

johann_g
Traveller
9 comments

replied 5 years ago

You wrote elsewhere that you\'ll be travelling in the summer. Maybe the Malmö-Berlin night train ( [u]https://rail.cc/de/nachtzug/malmoe-berlin-en-301/57[/u] ) might be a better option than taking the ferry on foot?

Userpic

CarbonCapture
Traveller
3 comments

replied 5 years ago

Hi,
Thank you guys for the information!
I opted for Malmö-Travemünde instead of the Malmö-Berlin for two reasons:
1) Schedule: the Berlin option requires to start much earlier from Malmö while the night ferry starts late. It can save half a day depending where you come from.
2) Comfort: with the Travemünde option, you can have dinner on board and then go to sleep in a boat cabin. With the Berlin night train, you need stay in the ferry for a while and then go back to the (potentially warm - no AC) train berth in the middle of the the evening/night: unpractical with small children.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 5 years ago

Hi!

No, you can of course stay in bed throughout the night. You do not have to leave the train on the Berlin Night Express.

Regarding Travemünde and the ferry terminal, you can only enter the area by car or public bus (as explained by Wouter).
The station Skandinavienkai is located just outside the harbour area but has no direct foot access there, you have to take the bus to enter/leave the station as foot passenger (taxi would be an option too probably). Anyways, if you have time I would recommend to take the bus to Travemünde Strand station (the terminus of the line from Lübeck) and enjoy some time at the beach and the promenade.
When I was travellind Travemünde - Helsinki with Finnlines I did that and took the bus from Travemünde Strand to the ferry terminal. Showed my train ticket to the bus driver and didnt have to pay for the bus.

What is your planned connection to get to your destination in Germany?

Flo

Userpic

CarbonCapture
Traveller
3 comments

replied 5 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion for Travemünde: it\'s definitely an option to have a nice stop there! (especially on the way back as the ferry leaves 22:00)
For the Malmö-Berlin...I\'m not sure: the idea of staying in a train berth (without AC) inside a ferry doesn\'t sound as comfortable. Ill check feedbacks.
I\'m heading south of Germany (Lubeck-Hamburg-Koblenz)

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 5 years ago

Hi.
And from Koblenz you are going south?
The River Rhine Valley is definitely worth it on the route from Koblenz to Mainz. Sit on the left and you have view on the river. :)
Pete :)

Userpic

johann_g
Traveller
9 comments

replied 5 years ago

The one time I took the direct Berlin - Malmö night train in the summer, I slept like a baby. I\'m not sure about AC on the train, but the ventilation system was definitely running even while onboard the ferry, so you should be ok.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 5 years ago

Yeah, I also took the train twice and dont remember any issues with AC (back in August 2009 they still used SJ couchette coaches while in July 2013 they already used DSB couchettes).