Userpic

SanneA
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 5 years ago

I would like to travel by bike on the train from Belgium to Bratislava. According to B-Europe, this is only possible if I travel with regional trains in Germany because ICE does not accept bicycles (also not dismantled) on their trains. But how do I get from Belgium with a regional train to Germany? Anyone have experience with this?

Follow this topic
Userpic

JeGo01
Traveller
2 comments

replied 5 years ago

In Germany the best way to travel with the train AND Bike is to use the IC/EC ( InterCity/ EuroCity). These Trains are slower and littlebit older than the ICE, but often you can put your bike into the last wagon. The only thing is that you must buy an extra ticket for the bike.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 5 years ago

Hi!

You can easily go to Cologne by regional trains like this:
IC to Welkenraedt, then change to L train to Aachen, then RE (Regional Express) to Köln. This connection is available every two hours and can be found via schedule planners such as [ux]http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/dn[/ux]

From Köln there are basically two routes how you can cross the country with IC/EC trains (also, there is now a growing (albeit still small) number of ICE trains with space for up to three bikes).
a) From Cologne via Mannheim - Stuttgart - München; then by Railjet train to Vienna and REX (Regional Express) to Bratislava.
b) From Cologna via Hannover - Leipzig - Dresden; then by EC train to Prague and onwards to Bratislava.

Flo