Userpic

1Nation
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 15 years ago

Hello guys,

hope it's the right forum I've posted this problem. My problem is following: I am planning my trip through Europe for next year and I am nearly done. My country of residence is Germany so the ticket does not count here. So now I am staying in Milano during my trip and want to ride to Amsterdam. The problem is, in Basel I have to change the train and this train is going to ride through Germany, my country of residence, but I won't get out of the train in Germany and I get in in Switzerland.

So now is my question: Can I do this ride with the interrail ticket or do I have to buy a single ticket for the ride through Germany?

thankx for answering

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 15 years ago

hej ...

bad news for you. you have to pay from the border Switzerland-Germany to the border Netherlands-Germany. you normally even don\'t get the discount of 25% (the 25% of a normal train ticket - you only get for your home city to the border) for your country of residence (=Germany) ... only if you meet nice staff somewhere in a station which don\'t know the details and sell you the 25% discounted ticket.
best option for you: either travel via France (Strasbourg - Luxembourg) and Belgium or buy a special discounted ticket of the night train CNL (City Night Line) from Basel to Amsterdam. if booking early enough, you will get one for 29 EUR one-way, what will be a lot cheaper than a normal ticket.

the rule of the country of residence is especially for Germans really bad - as you can not travel from Southern Europe to Scandinavia by rail without crossing Germany. :(

details about the CNL are here: [u]https://rail.cc/en/night-train/germany/de[/u]

have fun,
Peter :)

Userpic

1Nation
Traveller
2 comments

replied 15 years ago

hey,

thanks about replying so fast. But the problem is, this CityNightLine train going from Mailand to Amsterdam goes straight through Germany. And going through France and so on would be a detour of about 7 hours or something. You know what I mean?

Maybe I am going to try this CityNightLine through Germany with paying the extra price when I am crossing Germany.

Thanks again

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 15 years ago

I know that the CNL goes straight trough Germany. I only wanted to say: forget about travelling with your InterRail ticket on this route, just buy a CNL special offer (has nothing to do with InterRail) ... ! :)