Userpic

starbizarre
Traveller
8 comments

Posted 15 years ago

Ok, I'm trying to get from Split to Florence. This is proving difficult!! According to [ux]https://rail.shop/bahn[/ux] it will take about 9 hours to Ljubljana but 19 hours from there to Trieste and then however long from Trieste to Florence...!! Is this right?! 19 hours for a 50km journey?!

I know the ferry route from Split to Acona isn't included in the interrail ticket and there's no discount but would this just be an easier route to go? Has anyone else gone from Split to Florence?

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 15 years ago

there is no good connection on this route ... you have a 10 hour stop in Rijeka ... that's the reason why it takes so long ...
have a look at this topic about a ferry from Split to Venice ...
[u]https://rail.cc/en/ancona-split-ferry/f713[/u]

:)

Userpic

dmirstek
Traveller
21 comments

replied 15 years ago

19h takes whole route, also during the night, so you can sleep 'n' go ;)

Polish timetable show shorter stops:
Split - Zagreb 15:06-20:33
Zagreb-Venezia Mestre 23:35 - 7:04
Venezia Mestre - Firenze SMN 7:47-10:09.
That's not a bad connection, expensive Eurostar in Italy you can change into slower, but cheaper IC...

You can also travel:
Split-Zagreb 22:22-06:31
Zagreb-Ljubljana 07:50-10:06
Ljubljana-Venezia Mestre 10:35-14:09
Venezia - Firenze 14:54 - 17:22...
That's cheaper than ferry (Peter - that's ferry to Ancona, not Venice, Ancona-Firenze is 3hrs by train also... ;) ), for me it's also more comfortable ;)

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 15 years ago

perfect ... thanks a lot for this correction !!! :)

Userpic

starbizarre
Traveller
8 comments

replied 15 years ago

Thanks for the replies!
I had no idea it would take that long! Will have to decide whether to train it or ferry it. I've foudn a couple of ferry companies that go from Split to Ancona. One takes 4.5 hours, the other goes overnight and takes 9ish hours. But I guess that would save on hostel charges! Hmm.

Userpic

dmirstek
Traveller
21 comments

replied 15 years ago

Hmm, that's nice, I thought ferry will be slower. So you have to think and choose the way you prefer. When you travel using night train you can buy sitting place, but also couchette or if you have a lot of money - sleeper ;)
So that's not necessery to spend night in hostel ;)

Userpic

starbizarre
Traveller
8 comments

replied 15 years ago

ah yes good point! So either way I would save on hostels. My brother, who I'm travelling with, is more inclined to go for the ferry, though he has more money than I do lol, and he doesn't get see sick :(

Userpic

dmirstek
Traveller
21 comments

replied 15 years ago

[quote]ah yes good point! So either way I would save on hostels. My brother, who I'm travelling with, is more inclined to go for the ferry, though he has more money than I do lol, and he doesn't get see sick :( [/quote]
If the ferry is hydrofoil everyone will be sick. I remember my journey with it from Tallinn to Helsinki. Never more!!

Userpic

starbizarre
Traveller
8 comments

replied 15 years ago

oops just noticed I put see instead of sea, oh dear.
ughh that doesn't sound good! what is hydrofoil?!

Userpic

dmirstek
Traveller
21 comments

replied 15 years ago

[quote]oops just noticed I put see instead of sea, oh dear.
ughh that doesn't sound good! what is hydrofoil?![/quote]
it's ferry whitch sometimes fly ;)

Userpic

starbizarre
Traveller
8 comments

replied 15 years ago

Lol

Yeah I found both of those. I think we're going to go for the overnight one, just to save on money. Should book it soon I guess hmm.