[b]More details about reservation fees and supplements in Spain:[/b]
[u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-train-reservation/spain/es[/u]

Follow this topic
Userpic

gyoung88
Traveller
1 comments

replied 15 years ago

Hi I just got a Spain only pass and am ready to make reservations for Madrid>Granada and Granada>Barcelona journeys on AVE and ALS. Can I make the reservations online ??

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 15 years ago

hi ... as much as I know it is not possible to buy the reservations for these trains in the InterRail version online ... !!?! maybe send an email to the Spanish railway company... ||

Userpic

marcelilie
Traveller
1 comments

replied 14 years ago

Your last response is a little disturbing. I've tried to find information about these supplements on the RENFE website but I didn't get anywhere. Does anyone know anything if these supplements changed to 10 Eur to all trains?

I'm planning a trip to Spain and I'm doing a InterRail vs Real price comparison.

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 14 years ago

some paied already EUR 10 this spring. others not. seems to be a bit confusing ...
but if you have to calculate if you spent 3,50 EUR more or less when travelling by InterRail (or normal single tickets) you shouldn't even start a tour...
one nice sentence I love: double your budget - and then throw the half of your things out of your backpack, then your tour will be perfect. :)

Userpic

Asmodaeus
Traveller
4 comments

replied 14 years ago

I have just finished my trip to Spain and to my astonishment every train needs a reservation. It sounds strange and but it is true!
From 4 EUR for something like a regional express train to 10 EUR for Avant, AVE.
Talgo, Alvia, Alaris will cost around 6 EUR.
Night trains from Madrid to Lisboa or from Granada to Barcelona around 32 EUR.
Avoid travelling to Spain with Interrail Passes. RENFE has made it a traumatic and very expensive experience.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi!

It is true that [b]most[/b] long-distance trains in Spain require a reservation. Sad but true - but quality of trains usually is really good and especially with AVE trains you can move very fast. And the compulsory reservation doesnt only apply for InterRailers but for all kinds of tickets.

Despite the supplements InterRail still is quite a good offer, especially when you want to stay rather flexible. Of course there are quite cheap advance fares available but you are then usually fixed on a certain date and train. I was in Spain in February - here's a little comparison of prices for the routes I've been travelling (Note: I checked the Without IR prices online for the same amount of days in advance than I got my IR reservations):

Lisboa - Madrid:
With IR 32€ | Without IR 83€

Madrid - Sevilla:
With IR 10€ | Without IR 80€

Sevilla - Granada:
With IR 4€ | Without IR 24€

Granada - Barcelona:
With IR 7€ | Without IR 62€

Barcelona - Latour de Carol:
With IR free | Without IR ~10€

Flo 8)

Userpic

Asmodaeus
Traveller
4 comments

replied 14 years ago

[b]All[/b] trains require a reservation. I was asked to pay it for regional trains from Jerez to Sevilla or from Madrid to Valladolid.
It seems strange you didn't. Perhaps not every RENFE worker knows about new rules.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

I was speaking about the few, but existent Regional Express which run for instance Zaragoza - Barcelona, Madrid - Leon/Zaragoza/Badajoz and some other routes. They are only a few, but they run and to my knowledge dont require a reservation.
But I can understand your point, of course. However, despite it isnt the best country for InterRailers, Spain isnt that bad as it (admittedly growing) reputation. Especially when you are travelling longer distances you are travelling pretty cheap still compared to regular fares. And in the metropolitan area of the larger cities you have the Cercanias/Rodalies network which you can use for free.

Jerez - Sevilla: They changed all the trains to MD category (4€ reservation) last year. :(
Madrid - Valladolid: You probably were travelling with an AVE/ALvia/AL train which all require reservation. There are however, at least three connections with Regional Express trains without compulsory reservation.

Userpic

Asmodaeus
Traveller
4 comments

replied 14 years ago

I am sure I took a regional express train at 20:30 from Madrid to Valladolid.
I took a regional train from Seville to Malaga and the ticket inspector told me I should have done a reservation.
It really seems that all or almost all trains need a reservation and it is not my will to spoil Spain's reputation.
Let's wait for other people to confirm what I experienced personally.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

That seems very strange for me that the conductor insisted on you getting a reservation for such a train. To all my knowledge you dont need it for Regional and Regional Express - at least my sources (Thomas Cook Rail Timetable and HAFAS) and personal experience say so.
Please dont misunderstand me, I really appreciate your postings here and I believe what you are writing. ;) It just surprises me that RENFE would have changed to now even charging on Regional/Regional Express services. But that's the good thing with the forum that we have firsthand information here that will certainly help other travellers.

I just wrote a mail to RENFE...let's see if I get an answer.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 13 years ago

So I finally got an answer...and you are right, the Regional Express services from Madrid to Leon are among those who require a reservation.

You can find now and updated list of the supplements in Spain if you follow the link in the opening post. :)

Flo 8)

Userpic

Asmodaeus
Traveller
4 comments

replied 13 years ago

I wonder if there are trains which don't require reservations.
I have lived in Spain since September and travelled a lot in Castilla y Leon without IR (because regional trains are quite cheap, especially with a Carnet Joven). I remember that all tickets had seat numbers indicated on them, that would mean that all of them require a supplement.
Did you ask about other regional train connections?

And one more thing. Today I bought an Interrail Pass and I wanted to make a reservation for a Tgv from Hendaye to Paris and it wasn't possible. It complicated once more my travel.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 13 years ago

Well, the list is updated with the information we got officially from RENFE - like I've written. The Regional Express trains in Castilla y Leon are among those who require a reservation.

Did you try this method for getting a reservation for the TGV? [u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-train-reservation/tgv-sncf/42[/u]

Flo 8)

Userpic

Rosela
Traveller
14 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hello,
I'm looking for a train route from Castellon to Barcelona which requires no supplements or reservations. Is this possible? I've found euromed which does this route, but it requires a supplement charge.

Also, do you pay supplements at the station/train or prior to the trip? and i'm guessing reservations have to be done online?

Thank you!

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi.
Which Castellon in Spain do you mean. There are several ones.

If you are talking about Castellon de la Plana close to Valencia, you have this connection free of supplements by a Regional train:
Castellon de la Plana dep: 1759
Barcelona Sants arr: 2208

Peter :)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 13 years ago

Another option:

Castello 1134 - 1306 Tortosa
Tortosa 1324 - 1535 Barcelona

Flo 8)

Userpic

Rosela
Traveller
14 comments

replied 13 years ago

Yep, meant Castellon de la Plana!
Thank you very much! :)

Userpic

Eurotrip
Traveller
4 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hello Interrailers!

We also faced that interrail in Paris and Spain is an annoying business, but it still worth the trouble when it goes to money. Currently we are also facing trouble with an Irun-Madriud line. We have two opportunities: Take a night train, HOT 313, but we need a reservation in advance, because there is no time to buy the ticket there. But I can not even find this train in the renfe.com webpage, nor the option to select any interrail pass fares.

[u]https://rail.cc/en/search-interrail-route[/u]

Also, we can take th alaris train, but interrail fares are still a problem.

Anyone please, have an experience with renfe?

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi.
In deed it is annoying... :)

I recommend you to use the direct trains, as then you pay only once the reservation fee:

[b]Irun[/b] dep: 0825 | ALS (Alaris) train - reservation fee EUR 6,50
[b]Madrid-Chamartin[/b] arr: 1400

[b]Irun[/b] dep: 1620 | ALS (Alaris) train - reservation fee EUR 6,50
[b]Madrid-Chamartin[/b] arr: 2200

Userpic

Eurotrip
Traveller
4 comments

replied 12 years ago

Thank you for your quick answer!

My only problem is when it comes to fares calculations, i get full fare resulst, and i see no option for interrail passes.

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi.
You can't book the InterRail supplement online. You will have to do it directly at a train station in Spain.
It should be also possible in France (or Germany, or other countries) directly in train stations.
If you want to book by phone, do it like described here. But you have to pick the ticket up at least 24 hours before departure:
[u]https://rail.cc/en/spain-renfe-online-reservation-how-to/f4995[/u]

Userpic

HannesL
Traveller
4 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi
I have some more information concerning supplements in spain.
I went by Media-Distancia train from Sevilla to Merida, where no reservation is required.
Also i asked in Sevilla about the Regional train from Merida to Madrid and there is a reservation required.
I think in medium distance it does not depend on the kind of train but on the route you want to go.
That might be a bit annoying but if you know it its not really a big problem.

Hannes