Userpic

travel
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 16 years ago

Hello everyone. I am planning an Interail trip using the Global Pass (10 days within 22 days) and I would like to know your opinions about my scheduled cities so far. I'm from Portugal and I plan to see Madrid or Barcelona, Paris, Venice, Amsterdam, Wien, Berlin, and maybe Bern. Do you think is too much? I only want to stay in each city about 1 day (24 hours maximum) since this trip would have the purpose to catch a glimpse of the cities and later on, in a future, I will see them better.

Also, I plan to use the train mostly at night time to sleep and save some money on hostels and my plan would be to arrive at each city in the morning and leave it at night (after 19:00). In some cities I might sleep in the train station to save some money and start in the morning of the next day.

With this plan, does anyone have any suggestion of schedules and the cheapest trains to get in? I got a little bit confused with the route planner and I would really appreciate if someone with Interail experience would suggest routes and cheap trains (avoiding supplements but taking them if really necessary).

One last thing, I am planning to departure around May 10.

Thank you so much for your help. It will indeed help me a lot.

I wish a good day to all of you, guys!

Follow this topic
Userpic

admin
Traveller
203 comments

replied 16 years ago

Hi there,

Your plan is good. Some people plan to see many more cities and it is not possible. To have a short visit can also be a good idea; I have been to many places and will return to some for a closer look.

Night trains are a very good idea. I use them every year. It means that you can wake up in a new place, and not waste days sitting on trains. Most of your journeys will suitable for a night train and in most of the trains, if you take a seat instead of couchette, it will not be expensive.

Sleeping in the station might be dangerous; especially if you travel alone.

You can plan your route here:
[u]https://rail.cc/en/search-interrail-route[/u]

This is a very good way to know, in advance, what is available. I use it every year, and I save all the useful data and take it with me.

Travel in May will be good because there are fewer travellers.

Hope this is helpful. Have a most excellent trip.

iaink

Userpic

travel
Traveller
2 comments

replied 16 years ago

Hi, indeed you did help me. Thank you so much for the useful hints! :) I have some more questions though... when I get the night trains, will I pay the fees and the seat/couchette at the ticket counter or I can do it inside the train? Also, with your experience, what is the difference (in prices and comfort) with couchette and seat to sleep? Moreover, what can I expect from CityNightLine and internationale sneltrein/train rapide international in terms of sleep and prices?

Thank you one more time. Have a wonderful day!

Userpic

admin
Traveller
203 comments

replied 16 years ago

Hi, you're welcome,

When using night trains you will usually be making a reservation in the station and paying your reservation or supplement before you travel. Show your pass to the person and they will then tell you the cost. Try to book in advance so that you are not disappointed.

If you want a couchette you should reserve it in the station but you can also ask the controller, and pay the money to her or him, for a couchette while you are on the train although might find that there none available so it is best to book in advance of travel.

For a seat you might pay just a few Euros and for a couchette, in 6 berth compartment on the CNL, you will pay between 20 and 25 Euros. I used the City Night Line last year between Amsterdam and Basel and Basel to Berlin and it was very clean, safe and comfortable and it cost 24 Euros.

I always take couchettes now because I can lie down and actually sleep. If you take earplugs you can sleep more easily. When I have, in the past, taken a seat it has been very uncomfortable for a long night journey and I arrived at new places very fatigued.

So you spend less money if you take a seat instead of couchette but you will be less comfortable and more fatigued. The choice is yours. Best of luck with your planning and travelling.

iaink

[quote]Hi, indeed you did help me. Thank you so much for the useful hints! :) I have some more questions though... when I get the night trains, will I pay the fees and the seat/couchette at the ticket counter or I can do it inside the train? Also, with your experience, what is the difference (in prices and comfort) with couchette and seat to sleep? Moreover, what can I expect from CityNightLine and internationale sneltrein/train rapide international in terms of sleep and prices?

Thank you one more time. Have a wonderful day![/quote]

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 16 years ago

hi...
the CNL (city night line) trains was reorganized in the beginning of 2008 ... so it is cheap and comfortable for InterRailers... I must say, the German railway company is a very InterRailer-friendly company (and I don't say it because I live in Germany!!)... cheap night-trains, free ICE... :)

for details about the CNL trains have a look at this topic:
[u]https://rail.cc/en/night-train/germany/de[/u]

have fun,
Peter
:)