Userpic

stezbot
Traveller
31 comments

Posted 15 years ago

there's a few of these in my uni library but only reference which is a shame cos i can't nick off with them...

but i was wondering if it's worth spending the tenner to get a map or timetable on either a map or timetable in case we don't manage to find or get to (or want to waste money) an internet cafe or check before we leave the station we get in to (which would be the common sense thing, but my boyfriend and i can be slightly silly)...?!

Follow this topic
Userpic

admin
Traveller
203 comments

replied 15 years ago

Hi Steph,

I bought the Cook's timetable twice when I was free wheeling round Europe picking and choosing my route from day to day. When I have a shorter, more structured, tour like a 10 days in 22 I just research the trains here:
[u]https://rail.cc/en/search-interrail-route[/u]

I research some alternate journeys and times in case I miss a train and then save all the data in emails which I also send to my phone. I also have the same info in a sheet of a4 in my rucksack and on microfilm hidden in a toothpaste tube.

The Cook's timetable is amazing. I still have my out of date 2005 one because it still shows routes and night trains and journey times and ferries etc.

If your route is all decided before you go you'll have no need for it but it is wonderful even just to browse and daydream about all the trains and connections. You could just photocopy all the salient bits from your university copies.

Happy planning. Oh, and I decided against Beograd as a bit unsafe this year and am going to Rijeka instead, en route to Budapest.

Cheers,

Iain