Userpic

theoriginalh
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 16 years ago

Hi

I'm thinking of going for a trip for about three weeks this summer and want to get a good look at Eastern Europe (Slovenia, Hungary Croatia etc.). I'm very conscious of trying to be too ambitious though in terms of trying to see too much so I wondered if anyone could recommend a good route or itinerary which would take about 3 weeks (This will be my first time on inter rail). Any advice though on where (or where not!) to go would be very appreciated though.

thanks

Follow this topic
Userpic

admin
Traveller
203 comments

replied 16 years ago

I'd recommend Prague and Krakow from which you can do a day visit to Auschwitz. You can travel overnight between Prague and Krakow and both are great-looking and cheapish. If you can make your journeys all on night trains then you won't waste any days sitting on trains. I'd also recommend two nights in each place that you go to. That will give you 3 days exploring each and you can recover from the night trains.

Many Interrailers fly, with a budget airline, to a good starting destination and take some days there before the pass becomes valid and then take some more days in the place where the pass ends. I've Interrailed 3 times and I'll be doing it again this year. There are always more places to go to.

Have a great trip.

iaink

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 16 years ago

If you have the time and some extra money (as it is not included in the InterRail ticket), visit Lithuania (reach it via Poland) ...
Vilnius is nice and of course the sea near Klaiped...! :)
300km by train = 10 EUR ... very cheap ...!

Userpic

theoriginalh
Traveller
1 comments

replied 16 years ago

Thanks very much for your help guys. Some good tips there. Any input from anybody else would be welcome though nonetheless.

Cheers