Userpic

user#133524
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 3 years ago

I have seen this question pop up on this forum but the last time was 4 years ago, and obviously a lot can change in 4 years (just look at 2020). I was born in the UK and have citizenship and my passport, however around 10 years ago I moved to the US and have been living there. I am coming back to the UK in one month to backpack and travel Europe, but I am not sure which pass to get or which I can get. I am not sure if a) having an interrail pass could get me in trouble or unable to travel since I just have my passport and no proof of residency, and b) if I get a eurail pass I will be unable to travel to certain countries in Europe because the assumption is I am not from the continent, even though I have the citizenship and right to travel during this time. The website for Eurail shows certain countries’ travel as “not possible” while interrail shows the same country as “possible.” I am not sure if that is a restriction just based on citizenship or if the actual ticket itself would be inhibiting me, because like I said I have the citizenship to allow myself to travel it would just come down to restrictions on the trains and passes. Thanks

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 3 years ago

Hi.
Yes. A lot changed in the past 4 years. Eurail and Interrail are now more or less similar. The price is the same. The functions as well.
The only difference is:
with an Interrail pass you can not travel in your country of residence for free. You only have one outbound day to leave your country and one inbound day to come back home.
Which countries are marked as not available with Eurail, but with Interrail?

If you don't mind to travel in the UK and just leave it, the Interrail pass is okay for you. As you have an UK-passport together with an Interrail pass = everything good.
If you want to buy an Eurail pass, you need somehow a proof of residency in the USA, as you travel with an UK-passport = I would not choose this option, simply to hard to explain train staff who is not very experienced with these rail passes.

Best wishes, Peter :)