Userpic

stezbot
Traveller
31 comments

Posted 16 years ago

hey i'm just wondering about vaccines for europe

i've got a travel appointment at the uni health centre (my clinic at home won't give me my records) on 9th may but i go travelling 29th may...

going to netherlands, norways, finland, germany, czech rep, hungary, slovenia, italy, switzerland, spain and morocco

i know it's likely i'll need hep B and typhoid and possibly malaria tablets for morocco but with the appointment being so close to the first leg of the journey, i thought i best check if anyone needed anything for those countries so that i can get them straight away in the appointment without the nurses taking their time about everything like usual. i will have had tetanus, TB, MMR and polio/diptheria in school but maybe need booster shots ...

thanks! :o

Follow this topic
Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 16 years ago

It depednds what youve already had, but if your from the UK check out www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk, it lists all countries and advises you on immunisations.

Userpic

admin
Traveller
203 comments

replied 16 years ago

Hi, yeah, you'll obviously need to take precautions against Germs in Germany; Hunger in Hungery and ending-up broke in Switzerland! No, really: only the last one is true. Best regards.

iaink

Userpic

stezbot
Traveller
31 comments

replied 16 years ago

haha, unfortunately no polish jokes there...(if you remember our other off topic convo)

thanks, i can make sure the nurses don't con me in to paying for vaccines i don't need.

Userpic

stezbot
Traveller
31 comments

replied 15 years ago

incase anyone reads this thread again, i had my travel appointment yesterday and there's a very fancy proper nhs site that the nurse used called travax and this article she has.

because i'm travelling a lot (netherlands, norway, finland, germany, czech, hungary, slovenia, italy, switzerland & morocco) there was quite a few i needed to consider. but because the receptionist was an idiot, she booked me in 3 weeks before i leave as she didn't think there was anything needed for europe, only morocco.

i ended up getting hepatitis A & typhoid in one (which was free for all you students looking at this, don't be alarmed!) for eastern countries and morocco. I was also advised for a tick borne/encepahlitis vaccine for forest areas of finland, switzerland and germany in case we camp, but that comes in 2 doses (1 being 28 days after the 1st) so i couldn't get that due to departure date, so i'm looking at how to remove ticks myself incase i get bitten xo so if you are going camping in those areas, book your travel appointment well in advance and don't listen to receptionists!

i could've also had hepatitis B for slovenia (not morocco like i thought) but because i'm only there 2-3 days and not hiking so much, it would be a waste of a vaccine, the booster shots and a hard-earned £5!

[b]tips:[/b]
book in advance/don't listen to receptionists
know where you're going so you can tell nurse
don't be afraid of injections or the symptoms! a sharp scratch...nothing at all, just a bit of a sore arm afterwards

hope this info helps, there was more to consider than i thought

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 15 years ago

thanks for this information ...!!!
I am vaccinated as well against hepatitis A and B ... I think it's useful. :)