Userpic

ogenki
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 16 years ago

Hello!

As i never travelled outside the netherlands with a train before (Well to antwerp or gent to party, not excactly a staggering journey..), i find it all a bit hard to find a good connection/price. So i would like to ask the professionals on this site for some good advice :)

I want to travel as cheaply as possible, on a saturday in july to Perpignan, France. I travel with my girlfriend, we are both under 25. I want to return on saturday 2 weeks later. I can travel from these station: Rotterdam, Roosendaal, Antwerp Central, Anwerp Berchem and Brussels Midi, as long as it is the cheapest possibility. I would prefer a night train or tgv, as it is quite a long trip.

When i tried to book on the tgv site i had to pay 420 euro for both of us (return tickets) which i find to much. I could fly there with ryanair for less.. (400). Someone suggested me to buy a one country ticket france for 3 days (125) and then pay for the reservations? But i cant find how much these reservations are, how to do it, and where to order.. Any help would be much appreciated (other suggestions to get there cheaply?)

Thank you!

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 16 years ago

hej hej ...

if you buy your tickets early (up to 3 month in advance) via SNCF you get really really discounted tickets !! :)
but in your case it is very expensive ...

for train connections use this website: [u]https://rail.cc/en/search-interrail-route[/u]

about reservations: if using the Thalys going down to France, you pay in average 20 EUR supplement.
for a TGV depending on the time you travel (main travel times it is more expensive), you pay between 3-15 EUR for a supplement (you have to ask at a station directly in France and buy there the ticket as well).

when traveling by night train, you pay around 20 EUR for a bed in a 6-bed-compartment ... :)

I hope these answers will help you ... and to avoid supplements use the website above and select without HST (=high speed trains) on Product / Whole journey ... :)

have fun,
Peter
:)

Userpic

admin
Traveller
203 comments

replied 16 years ago

Hi there,

Peter is right regarding cheap TGV tickets if you book in advance. On the SNCF web site you'll see a section marked PREMS. These are very cheap offers, sometimes only a couple of weeks in advance. Happy travelling. And, Perpignon is nice.

iaink

[quote]Hello!

As i never travelled outside the netherlands with a train before (Well to antwerp or gent to party, not excactly a staggering journey..), i find it all a bit hard to find a good connection/price. So i would like to ask the professionals on this site for some good advice :)

I want to travel as cheaply as possible, on a saturday in july to Perpignan, France. I travel with my girlfriend, we are both under 25. I want to return on saturday 2 weeks later. I can travel from these station: Rotterdam, Roosendaal, Antwerp Central, Anwerp Berchem and Brussels Midi, as long as it is the cheapest possibility. I would prefer a night train or tgv, as it is quite a long trip.

When i tried to book on the tgv site i had to pay 420 euro for both of us (return tickets) which i find to much. I could fly there with ryanair for less.. (400). Someone suggested me to buy a one country ticket france for 3 days (125) and then pay for the reservations? But i cant find how much these reservations are, how to do it, and where to order.. Any help would be much appreciated (other suggestions to get there cheaply?)

Thank you![/quote]

Userpic

ogenki
Traveller
1 comments

replied 16 years ago

Thanks for the help so far!

So, we've decided to buy the interrail global pass for 5 days. 2 days for our Brussel zuid - Perpignan - Brussel Zuid trip. The other 3 days we will visit Barcelona, Montpellier and Carcassone.

So, if I understand it correctly, we have to pay for a supplement+reservation costs to use the tgv? And that will be a total of 3-20 or 3-20 + 3-20? And where/how do i buy those supplements? I've tried a few sites for tickets and I couldnt find anything other then normal tickets.

Do u think it will be the cheapest to buy exactly 3 months in advance the away ticket and 2 weeks later the return ticket? Or wait those 2 weeks and buy a retour?

My last question (sorry :os ), for the trips to barcelona and montpellier, if we use regional trains, we don't have to pay for any supplements right?

Thank you!

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 16 years ago

you have to pay supplement:
- for you: 3-15 EUR TGV
- and your friend: 3-15 EUR

regional trains are free... also other trains which are NOT listed on https://rail.cc/en/interrail-train-reservation

the trains with supplements are listed! ;)

these supplements are available at every big train station in Benelux and France... you can buy them up to 3 months in advance, but when buying them you already need your InterRail ticket with you !! :)

by the way... Carcassone is a really nice old town !! :) very good choice !!

have fun,
Peter
:)