Userpic

JD
Traveller
6 comments

Posted 16 years ago

I am a complete noob not only to Interrailng but also backpacking, but Im planning on going around Europe for the Summer (2-3months).

Is the rail pass only available for 1 month max?

Also do you normally book the place your going to stay before you get there or is it easy enough to find accommodation in the major cities on the day you arrive?

Follow this topic
Userpic

admin
Traveller
203 comments

replied 16 years ago

Hi there and welcome; we've all been nubes.

Yep, one month max. Hostels are best booked in advance for the busy season and popular places. You can use a site like [ux]https://rail.shop/hostelworld[/ux] which will show availabilty and cost and will give you directions and reviews. You can also paste the hostel address into Google Earth to see if it is near railway stations and beaches, etc.

A small deposit can be made to secure your booking and cancellations and changes are possible. Most hostels have the internet and many offer it free but it really is better to book as far ahead as you can to plan your trip and to avoid disappointment. Hope this is helpful. Have almost excellent trip.

:arr: step by step guide for firstimers: [u]https://rail.cc/en/first-time-interrail[/u]

iaink

Userpic

JD
Traveller
6 comments

replied 16 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

As I reckon to be going around for about 2-3 months what so you recommend as regards getting another month long ticket after the first expires? Can they be bought at any train station?

Also as regards accommodation would you recommend booking the whole 2-3 months before I go or say book the first month and then as I travel book the next?

Thanks again

Userpic

admin
Traveller
203 comments

replied 16 years ago

Hi,

As I understand it, you can't get another pass until six months after the first one you bought. There are other types of passes that you might be eligible for. I know there is one called Eurail but I don't know the eligibilty requirements. You can search for other passes on-line; I have only had Interrail passes. There are also very cheap long-distance bus passes. There's a company called Busabout which covers loads of the popular places in Europe and you can hop on and off as you wish.

For accommodation: While the stress of finding a place to stay is reduced by having it arranged in advance, there is stress of having to make sure that you are there on the day and time you've arranged, and, if you have lots already arranged you also have less flexibility en route. If you meet people and want to travel with them, or just stay longer in a place that you are enjoying, then the arranged accommodation would interfere with that.

It's a matter of balancing how much flexibility and how much certainty you want on your trip. Last year I had all my accommodation and train times for a month arranged in advance and it all worked out fine. On my first Interrail, without any tour plan, and before Internet booking was available, I spent a lot of time lost and looking for a place to stay.

Perhaps you can create a plan that has some accommodation - particularly the busy places - arranged and leave yourself gaps that you can fill as you please. All the best.

iaink

Userpic

Miro
Traveller
65 comments

replied 16 years ago

I never heard the rule of buying the next pass only six months after the first one, strange rule also, i thought you could just buy passes after each other at very much big train stations in Europe...

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 16 years ago

[quote]I never heard the rule of buying the next pass only six months after the first one, strange rule also, i thought you could just buy passes after each other at very much big train stations in Europe...[/quote]

:o that's what i thought, and by god, i hope it's true... i need 2 month passes wtihin a 3 month period as well

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 16 years ago

... you can buy as much passes as you want and need. you even can buy two passes at the same time for the same travel date ... if you have too much money...! ;)
your datas will not be saved somewhere, so it can not be controled if you bought 10 passes or 100 per year...! :)

Userpic

admin
Traveller
203 comments

replied 16 years ago

Hey, yeah,

I've just realised that the one pass in six months thing was actually...a dream. Apologies to all and sundry.

iaink

Userpic

JD
Traveller
6 comments

replied 16 years ago

[quote]... you can buy as much passes as you want and need. you even can buy two passes at the same time for the same travel date ... if you have too much money...! ;)
your datas will not be saved somewhere, so it can not be controled if you bought 10 passes or 100 per year...! :) [/quote]

Phew, thank god for that.

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 16 years ago

:)

Userpic

viajerafeliz
Traveller
1 comments

replied 16 years ago