Interrail: Madrid - Barcelona - Bern - Amsterdam

Rusky @ 12-02-2009 18:06

So my friends and I finally decided on where to go and what trains to take although now I'm wondering whether or not the number of journeys are actually 5. This is our plan:

We leave Madrid for Bern. To get there we take a train to Barcelona and then the nighttrain to Bern.

Once we leave Bern we take slow trains to Amsterdam.

After Amsterdam we're gonna go to Brussels via slow trains.

Then we're doing Brussels-Paris via slow trains again.

Finally, to get back to Madrid we take the TGV from Paris to Bordeaux and from there we take the slow train to Madrid.

Oh, right and the country of residency is Spain if you need to know. So are we doing too many journeys or is this number fine? Thanks in advance for clearing this up.

Pete @ 13-02-2009 09:29

hej hej ...
sounds good your route... and it is nice to do ...
just what is in my mind:

1) Barcelona to Bern: book the reservations early enough at a main station in Madrid.
and why not move from Bern to Zurich !! very nice there as well !! 🙂

2) from Bern go to Basel... there is an IC/EC running via Strasbourg (France), Luxembourg to Brussels... I think two or three times a day without any changes and no supplements. use the last wagon as it is normally an old Belgium one. with six person compartments. not so much traffic in there - just close the door and enjoy your travel.
by the way... the train I mentioned starts in Zurich...!
in Brussels you can move to an IC to Amsterdam - with no changes and free of supplements.

3) Amsterdam to Brussels: free IC ...

4) Brussels to Paris by Thalys: https://rail.cc/en/train/brussels-to-paris

5) I recommend you to buy the reservation for TGV Paris to Bordeaux early in advance... either in Brussels or Amsterdam... or even already in Switzerland (it is possible there!!). as there is only a limited number of seats per TGV for InterRailers... 🙂

that's it... have fun, Peter 🙂

Please login to write a message.

about railcc: We are real travellers and offer honest and well-grounded tips and tricks for your train journey.

rail.cc is partner and friend of
Deutsche Bahn Logo
Interrail Logo
Eurail Logo
Omio Logo
Trainline Logo
ACPRail Logo
NS Logo
SNCB Logo
Booking.com Logo
China Highlights Logo
12GoAsia Logo
Flixtrain Logo
Inlandsbanan Logo
Nightjet Logo
SJ Logo
RealRussia Logo
Kiwi.com Logo
Airbnb Logo
DJI Logo
Rentalcars Logo

COOKIES: by use of the railcc website, you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy. For further information about the use and management of our cookies, we ask you to accept our cookies policy.