Userpic

joanna_vdv
Traveller
10 comments

Posted 16 years ago

Hey, I've been wondering what the best way to do money is - card, cash or traveller's cheques? The latter's been recommended but it sounds a bit fiddly ... And I've been told you have to pay big transcation/handling fees with card (plus I only have a debit Visa). I don't want to be carrying large sums of cash around with me - help!

Follow this topic
Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 16 years ago

depends where you are - debit cards are the best if you can get one that doesnt charge for overseas transactions, if your in the UK then theres the Nationwide one which is very good if you can get it. Travellers cheques are a bit of a waste of time, and always keep a bit of cash on you somewhere safe.

[b]UPDATE - calculator:[/b] [u]https://rail.cc/en/overall-costs[/u]

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 16 years ago

I use a Visa-card ...
it is in every city the same ... the same like you stay at home and go to the city for shopping ... you have to pay always attention to your money... :)

Userpic

joanna_vdv
Traveller
10 comments

replied 16 years ago

Doesn't using a visa card abroad incur ridiculous handling fees though?

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 16 years ago

mmmh... this might be ...
the best you ask before at the bank you got it from ...

my banking account is in EUR, so I do not have extra calculated exchanging costs and so on ... for me it is the cheapest way... :)

but if you banking account is in GBP, this might be a problem. :(

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 16 years ago

yeah, most banks charge for overseas withdrawals, except nationwide and HSBC (as long as you withdraw from an HSBC bank). I think these are the only 2, but best check with your bank

Userpic

Kucifus
Traveller
2 comments

replied 16 years ago

Yeah, for us brits using cards can lead to problems

Last year my dad was abroad and he got, wait for this... [b]30%[/b] surcharge on his Halifax card.

I dont advise cards for brits, i think travellers cheques arnt a bad idea because if they get nicked then you dont lose any cash.

Though, always have some cash on you.

Userpic

carvell
Traveller
3 comments

replied 16 years ago

Open a Nationwide current account, they're the only bank in the UK that won't charge you anything for taking money out from anywhere abroad.