Userpic

JD
Traveller
6 comments

Posted 16 years ago

This may be a stupid question but Im new to interrailing so please bear with me:

What is the difference between 1st class and 2nd class? Is 1st class worth the extra €200?

Follow this topic
Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 16 years ago

Hi JD,

I don't have any experience travelling with 1st class interrail (as there is no discount for <26yo's) but it just means that you can travel in first class compartments or sometimes don't have to pay a supplement for 2nd class trains (sleeping compartments etc.)

If you're going to Scandinavia i think it would be worth it, but i wouldn't recommend it if you're travelling through eastern/southern europe as there isn't even a first class on a lot of trains.

I personally like the ambiance of 2nd class trains, but that's just me.

Hope that helps

Cheers,

AO

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 16 years ago

hey hey ...

my experiences:

- 1st class: you always get a seat without reservation. it is a bit of luxury. it is quiet.

- 2nd class: you get in contact to much more people ... because people aren't interested only in their business. you meet a lot of interrailers. you can drink a beer and sit somewhere on the floor if you don't get a seat (no often but it happens sometimes).
and if you have to use the toilet, just go to the 1st class, use it and come back to the 2nd class where your seat is !! ;)

to find the best way for you:
do you want to have more adventure and you are interested in contacts to different people, if you are traveling with a backpack: use the 2nd class

if you want to have a quiet travel, sleep in hostels, just to relax: the 1st class will be the best for you !!! :)

have fun,
Peter
:)

Userpic

JD
Traveller
6 comments

replied 16 years ago

[quote]hey hey ...

my experiences:

- 1st class: you always get a seat without reservation. it is a bit of luxury. it is quiet.

- 2nd class: you get in contact to much more people ... because people aren't interested only in their business. you meet a lot of interrailers. you can drink a beer and sit somewhere on the floor if you don't get a seat (no often but it happens sometimes).
and if you have to use the toilet, just go to the 1st class, use it and come back to the 2nd class where your seat is !! ;)

to find the best way for you:
do you want to have more adventure and you are interested in contacts to different people, if you are traveling with a backpack: use the 2nd class

if you want to have a quiet travel, sleep in hostels, just to relax: the 1st class will be the best for you !!! :)

have fun,
Peter
:) [/quote]

Thanks

Like everyone I like comfort but I defintely view my trip as being an opportunity to meet people from different countries so its 2nd class for me