Camping instead of hostel ?

mimmi @ 20-08-2007 19:10

I´m thinking more and more about bringing a tent instead of paying for a hostel every night. Is it worth it? I´m travelling, alone. in the middle and south of europe.. How much do you have to pay for staying with the tent at the camping? I´ve also heard something about a special card you need to get access to the camping, like an international camping card...
/mimmi

Pete @ 05-12-2007 09:51

hi Mimmi ...
it is nice to do camping... but often you have to use a bus (or walk a long way) to get from the station to the camping area.
if you use a normal, simple camping area (2 stars are enough), you can sleep there for under 10 EUR.
it is really cheaper than a hostel. but in the bigger cities, it is easier and safer to use a hostel - or you leave the city at night going outside to a smaller town or village and there to a camping area.
don't forget... a tent will have a weight around 3 kg ...!
my opinion: more weight in your backpack, but a cheaper travel. 🙂
have a lot of fun,
Peter
🙂

👉 information about hostels and camping: https://rail.cc/en/where-to-sleep

diamantenstein @ 05-12-2007 22:44

So I consider if i should buy a tent, too. I want to travel in GB, start in the south of England and go as far north as possibe, the orkneys will be the my last destination i think.
when im correct i have to camp in this camping area and not everywhere where it seems to be nice😉 but what about this areas, can i find them everywhere, maybe in scotland too? and the orkneys are real nature, i think it will be difficult to find sth like that there?
maybe you know more about that🙂
greetings

Pete @ 06-12-2007 08:11

just a short stop here ... 🙂

in Scotland you can not camp just somewhere in nature. this is only officially allowed in Scandinavia. but if you ask a farmer, maybe you can. 🙂

I will look for a list/website with camping spaces in the next days ...!! 🙂 have to go now ... bye bye, Peter 🙂

mimmi @ 06-12-2007 10:10

I´ve been out on my trip now and it was great and I will definitely go again! But about the camping thing I think for the trip that I made staying in hostel was the best option. I was travelling alone in big cities and the hostels gave me the opportunity to meet a lot of new friends. And I think camping would have taking to much time because I didn´t plan where I wanted to stay before I went out and a hostel is always easy to find...

Please login to write a message.

about railcc: We are real travellers and offer honest and well-grounded tips and tricks for your train journey.

rail.cc is partner and friend of
Deutsche Bahn Logo
Interrail Logo
Eurail Logo
Omio Logo
Trainline Logo
ACPRail Logo
NS Logo
SNCB Logo
Booking.com Logo
China Highlights Logo
12GoAsia Logo
Flixtrain Logo
Inlandsbanan Logo
Nightjet Logo
SJ Logo
RealRussia Logo
Kiwi.com Logo
Airbnb Logo
DJI Logo
Rentalcars Logo

COOKIES: by use of the railcc website, you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy. For further information about the use and management of our cookies, we ask you to accept our cookies policy.