Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

Posted 16 years ago

I´m thinking more and more about bringing a tent instead of paying for a hostel every night. Is it worth it? I´m travelling, alone. in the middle and south of europe.. How much do you have to pay for staying with the tent at the camping? I´ve also heard something about a special card you need to get access to the camping, like an international camping card...
/mimmi

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9330 comments

replied 16 years ago

hi Mimmi ...
it is nice to do camping... but often you have to use a bus (or walk a long way) to get from the station to the camping area.
if you use a normal, simple camping area (2 stars are enough), you can sleep there for under 10 EUR.
it is really cheaper than a hostel. but in the bigger cities, it is easier and safer to use a hostel - or you leave the city at night going outside to a smaller town or village and there to a camping area.
don't forget... a tent will have a weight around 3 kg ...!
my opinion: more weight in your backpack, but a cheaper travel. :)
have a lot of fun,
Peter
:)

:arr: information about hostels and camping: [u]https://rail.cc/en/where-to-sleep[/u]

Userpic

diamantenstein
Traveller
2 comments

replied 16 years ago

So I consider if i should buy a tent, too. I want to travel in GB, start in the south of England and go as far north as possibe, the orkneys will be the my last destination i think.
when im correct i have to camp in this camping area and not everywhere where it seems to be nice;) but what about this areas, can i find them everywhere, maybe in scotland too? and the orkneys are real nature, i think it will be difficult to find sth like that there?
maybe you know more about that:)
greetings

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9330 comments

replied 16 years ago

just a short stop here ... :)

in Scotland you can not camp just somewhere in nature. this is only officially allowed in Scandinavia. but if you ask a farmer, maybe you can. :)

I will look for a list/website with camping spaces in the next days ...!! :) have to go now ... bye bye, Peter :)

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 16 years ago

I´ve been out on my trip now and it was great and I will definitely go again! But about the camping thing I think for the trip that I made staying in hostel was the best option. I was travelling alone in big cities and the hostels gave me the opportunity to meet a lot of new friends. And I think camping would have taking to much time because I didn´t plan where I wanted to stay before I went out and a hostel is always easy to find...