Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

Posted 15 years ago

(Just to rip off the subject of sam188 :-) )

I'm traveling in Western Europe in the first 22 days of August. In the interrail spirit, I would like to avoid planning in too much detail. I understand August is the busiest month of them all as far as hostels go. How far ahead do I have to book my beds, especially in cities like Paris, Madrid and Barcelona? Ideally, I would like to book just a day in advance. I don't have high standards, and I can live with not getting beds in the cool places, but I also don't want to sleep with bedbugs. Any advice?

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9330 comments

replied 15 years ago

hej hej ... if you don't need special super monster good hostels - only a place to sleep - then it will be enough to book 1-2 days in advance. you will always find a bed. but sometimes you have to search a little bit for it. I often do it this way: when I stay in a hostel, I use their internet access to book the hostel for the next 1 or 2 days. because you also have then other travellers around you which can recommend you hostels of places where they just stayed. mmmh... and for the big cities ... sometimes it is really good to make the booking some days in advance (but only for the big big cities)... you will get the feeling of what is the best for you within 3-5 travel days ... :)
Peter :)

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 15 years ago

Thanks for a great answer in just 4 minutes ;-)

I can live with 1-2 days (and up to 4 for the big cities). My plan is exactly as you said, to find the next hostel from the one I'm staying in, as soon as possible after I arrive. I have already booked for the first two cities, so I get a soft start. Looking forward to going :-)