Userpic

PeterH2019
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 4 years ago

Hi,
I'd like to travel from Geneva to La Spezia (Italy) via a scenic route - maybe through the alps? Is it feasible / sensible to go via the The Bernina Express - or is that too far out of the way? Would I need to break the journey overnight to get the best sightseeing? I'll be travelling in mid September.

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 4 years ago

Hi!

I assume you are going to travel next year? Still plenty of time to make plans :)

Probably the most scenic route would be from Geneva along the Rhone valley via Montreux to Brig; then travel along the route of Glacier Express via Andermatt - Disentis to Chur, then travel via St. Moritz and the Bernina Express route to Tirano; onward to Milano and finally from there to La Spezia. Break of journey and (at least one) overnight stop is necessary.

Are you going to travel with a rail pass (Interrail, Eurail)? Mind you that regular tickets are quite expensive in Switzerland.

Flo

Userpic

PeterH2019
Traveller
1 comments

replied 4 years ago

Hi Flo. Thanks for the response!

Yes travel will be September 2020. Where would you recommend breaking the journey so that we maximise / optimise the viewing times on the journey? Would we allow 2 or 3 days to get from Geneva to La Spezia?
I haven't turned my mind to what type of tickets yet. What would you recommend? We are likely to want to also travel from La Speziz to Rome after a break at Cinque Terra. Does that influence what type of ticket to get?
I'm keen to take photos on the Bernina route, so am thinking perhaps taking the local train with opening windows rather than Bernina would be sensible?
Thanks for any thoughts.
Peter