Userpic

Josie90
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 9 years ago

Hi everyone,
next week I wanted to start my 3-week interrail trip. I start from the Czech Republic and would go to Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro, Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria and Romania. Now there seem to be floods in Serbia and Bosnia-Herzegovina, but I do not really know how bad it is (I would only go to Berlgrade and Sarajevo). Does anyone have information on the topic? I would probably be there in 1,5-2 weeks, so is there any prognosis what the situation will be like and whether it is save to go there?

Thank you!

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 9 years ago

Hi!

In Serbia, most lines are operational again, however Beograd - Pozega is still closed with the day train to Montenegro diverted via Lapovo - Kraljevo and the night train suspended.
In Bosnia-Herzegowina I think the situation is worse however I do not know details but I would think it is currently not advisable to go there.
As there is no train service Beograd - Sarajevo since a few years you would have to take a bus anyway between the two cities...I would wait and see and then decide spontaneously where to go.

Flo 8)

Userpic

Josie90
Traveller
1 comments

replied 9 years ago

Thank you for the answer. By now I planned another route. From Dubrobnik I'm gonna take the ferry to Bari, and from Bari to Patras in Greece (where I only have to pay like 10€ extra with Interrail ticket). So from Greece I am still able to go to Bulgaria and Romania, and only have to leave out Serbia and Bosnia. Anyway, if the situation gets better I might still go. But I also heard that the landmines from the Bosnian war might cause a real threat at the moment. So maybe it's better to postpone it to next year.

Josie :)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 9 years ago

Wow, that's kind of a big detour it seems to me!

Couldnt you take the bus from Dubrovnik to Kotor in Montenegro, then continue to Podgorica and take the train to Belgrade; then Belgrade - Skopje - Thessaloniki, travel around Greece, then Thessaloniki - Sofia and onwards to Romania?
Bar/Podgorica - Belgrade could be a bit annoying since there is only the day train running now which is likely to be quite full I think but the railway line itself is absolutely stunning! :)

Userpic

nittentrikken
Traveller
15 comments

replied 9 years ago

Sounds nice!

I am also planning to travel through Serbia in a few weeks (from Budapest - Belgrade - Sofia - Plovdiv - Istanbul, similar to the route you, Flow, have described on the blog). Looks like train connections in Serbia are ok by now, and at least by my arrival. But I talked to a friend of mine who grew up i Serbia, and she told they are waiting quite extreme weather down there in the next days. So things can still change. So let's just wait and see:)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 9 years ago

It'd be great if you could provide us with up to date informations about this route, thanks. ;)

Userpic

nittentrikken
Traveller
15 comments

replied 9 years ago

Sure! I will gladly share my experiences and updates ;)

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 9 years ago

Userpic

nittentrikken
Traveller
15 comments

replied 9 years ago

My update on Serbian train connections: There are no irregularities on neither Budapeşt-Belgrade nor Belgrade-Sofia. Both lines are operating as normal again.