Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

Posted 15 years ago

[b]FERRY: ITALY - GREECE (Bari, Ancona, Igoumenitsa, Patras)[/b]

There are two ferry companies which offer this free crossing from Italy to Greece and back.
The official information for this summer is:

:arr: Attica Enterprises - Superfast Ferries / Blue Star Ferries[/b]
[ux]https://rail.shop/superfast[/ux] / www.bluestarferries.com
If you have an InterRail Global Pass or an One Country InterRail Greece PLUS Pass you can use the following ferry for free (deck passage):

[b]Patras / Igoumenitsa (Greece) to Ancona / Bari (Italy)[/b]

Supplements:
June and September: 10 EUR per person
July and August: 20 EUR per person + fuel surcharge (4 EUR) + port taxes

Attica Enterprises: [ux]https://rail.shop/superfast[/ux]

[b]Example per person, one-way:[/b]
port dues, 7.00 EUR
fuel surcharge, 10 EUR
high Season supplement, 20 EUR
air seats, 18 EUR (you don't need them when sitting just on deck)

:arr: [b]Minoan Lines[/b]
[ux]https://rail.shop/minoan[/ux]

Only with an InterRail Global Pass you get a free deck passage on the routes:

[b]Patras - Igoumenitsa - Ancona[/b]
[b]Patras – Corfu – Igoumenitsa - Venice[/b]

Supplements:
June and September: 16 EUR
July and August: 26 EUR (attention: you DON'T have to pay port taxes !!!)

Upgrades for cabins:
50% on the official prices (based on availability)

:arr: [b]Hellenic Mediterranean Lines (HML)[/b]
www.hml.it

Route: [b]Patras (Greece) to Brindisi (Italy)[/b]

You don't travel for free, but you get a discount on all categories (except the luxury cabin) of:
- 25% in high season (15 June to 15 September)
- 50% outside the high season

Information and booking
Brindisi
phone: +39 0831 528 531
email: resa@hml.it
Rome
phone: +39 06 4740141
email: hml.roma@tiscalinet.it

:arr: If you are travelling with an InterRail pass XX days out of YY days, you need only ONE of your InterRail pass travel-days.
just choose if you want to fill in the departure day or the arrival day of the ferry - as the ferry runs overnight.

:arr: [b]Buy your ticket always at their official offices !!![/b]

[b]update: January 2011[/b]

Follow this topic
Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 15 years ago

From Ancona to Patras is a long time, on Minoan Lines besides the suplement we have to pay, if we want to sleep we have to pay for a bed right?

Userpic

baobab
Traveller
128 comments

replied 15 years ago

[quote]From Ancona to Patras is a long time, on Minoan Lines besides the suplement we have to pay, if we want to sleep we have to pay for a bed right?[/quote]

if you have a sleeping bag and you are a real traveler then its okay ;)
;)

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 15 years ago

and they let us sleep anywhere on the boat? or there is a place for it? x)

Userpic

baobab
Traveller
128 comments

replied 15 years ago

[quote]and they let us sleep anywhere on the boat? or there is a place for it? x)[/quote]

if its summer you can also sleep outside if its winter there are not so many passengers and you can find a place inside to sleep ( at corridor , sofa etc) but not everywhere..
although you won't face any problem

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 15 years ago

great!
I would be on that trip in the summer, so I can sleep outside and see the stars xD

Thanks for the info

Userpic

baobab
Traveller
128 comments

replied 15 years ago

[quote]great!
I would be on that trip in the summer, so I can sleep outside and see the stars xD
Thanks for the info[/quote]

i am on the other side , Patras 8)
try couchsurf too ;)

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 15 years ago

cool! I'll stay maybe for 3 nights, and I want to go to Corinthos to do some bungee on the corinthos channel :P

about couchsurf....don't know

Userpic

Iristja
Traveller
18 comments

replied 15 years ago

Hmmm... alright. So it is never free? Although they say it on the official interrail site.
I am planning my trip and in May I wanted to go from Bari to Patras.

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 15 years ago

it is free when traveling outside of the peak season (only the tax for the port - which every ferry-traveler has to pay - NOBODY can avoid this!).
in summer you have to supplement.

but what do you expect: InterRAIL is a RAIL ticket - so it is a bonus to have a over night, long distance ferry nearly for free !!! :)

Userpic

VanFanis
Traveller
1 comments

replied 15 years ago

I am thinking of buying a one-country ITALY pass for this summer - will I be able to take advantage of any discounts on the Bari-Patras Ferry line with this pass? Or do I have to buy the Greece PLUS pass?

Thanks,

Van

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 15 years ago

you need the Greece Pluss Pass... otherwise you won't get a discount... :|

Userpic

AnnaBacher
Traveller
1 comments

replied 15 years ago

If you are two people traveling (patra - ancona), and you are depending on making it onto a specifik departure, isn't it wise to reservate the tickets?
And if so - how is it done?
I can't figure out how to make the reservation without paying the full price...

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 15 years ago

Reservations are not possible with InterRail in advance - and you always get a place on deck. no worries...! :)

Userpic

Gaudre
Traveller
4 comments

replied 15 years ago

hey, once again problems with trains... i want to ask why i can't find any trains from Bari to Athens. i am trying in different ways but it doesn't work..i don't understand why..

Thanks

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 15 years ago

it's simple ... between Bari and Athens is a lot of water. you have to take the ferry Bari (Italy) to Patras (Greece) and then to continue in direction of Athens (see the GREECE forum).
if you want to avoid the ferry, you have to search for a connection via Venice, Beograd, Sofia, Thessaloniki to Athens... a really long trip of some days. Peter :)

Userpic

Gaudre
Traveller
4 comments

replied 15 years ago

i am sorry i made a mistake, i meant form Patras to Athens, I know everything abaout ferry, and I am going to take it...but problem.is that destination.. :os

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 15 years ago

oh okay... :)
have a look here... Patras - Athens:

[u]https://rail.cc/en/train/patras-to-athens[/u]

Peter :)

Userpic

roller
Traveller
2 comments

replied 14 years ago

hello!

There are some lockers in the boat? where we leave the bags if I travel on deck?

tks

Userpic

Colz23
Traveller
3 comments

replied 14 years ago

hi i just called minoan to find out the dates for the ferry from patras to athens and he said for 3 people for deck space it would be 126 EUR with the interrail global pass. he then also said theres only 2 spaces left, but i read previously that there is always space and you can't reserve deck space. can someone please help me??

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

Patras to Athenes is not included in InterRail.
only Patras-Ancona ... and this is free, except the supplement in hight season which will have a maximum of 26 EUR per person at Minona lines. deck passage is free (plus the supplement)!!!
and there is always space. the person you called simply wanted to sell you a cabin. you can always just go to their office at the harbour of your departure place. :)

Userpic

baobab
Traveller
128 comments

replied 14 years ago

[quote]hello!

There are some lockers in the boat? where we leave the bags if I travel on deck?

tks[/quote]

I am pretty sure (but not absolutely sure) that there are no lockers onboard and you can leave your bags at a corner and sleep next to them..

Userpic

meganrose2104
Traveller
2 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi,
So I cannot seem to find ferry time tables [b]ANYWHERE!![/b]
My friends and I want to go over night - perhaps leaving the port about 5pm.
Is this possible? We're going to go on the Patras-Bari ferry.
Someone take me out my misery... pleeease!
MRGB X

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 14 years ago

[u]http://www.superfast.com/site/content.asp?sel=660&loc=2[/u]

Userpic

meganrose2104
Traveller
2 comments

replied 14 years ago

ahhh MERCI BEAUCOUP! :)

Userpic

mooncake
Traveller
1 comments

replied 14 years ago

I'm going to Athens on 20th June and am planning to take the ferry from Patra-Bari on the 25th with the Interrail Global pass. Can I make the reservations when I arrive in Athens or is that too late? Also my friend is coming with me but she doesn't have the Interrail ticket - should she get the ferry ticket now or can we do it together? Thank you so much! Natalie

Userpic

TonyQ
Traveller
5 comments

replied 14 years ago

hello! i'd like some help as i'm confused :| ... I'm Greek, with a global interrail... do i have a free ticket to italy? if yes, travelling in July is: 20euro/res+7e/taxes+10e/fuel=37e(!!!), but superfast website says that there is no extra charge for fuel (at the moment, but gas price is going more and more expensive, so we don't know for the future), so we have 27e... But sailing without an Interrail pass is 42euro/youth_ticket... i think that's better bcause i won't spend one global_pass-day (on board). Is my thought right or is something misunderstood?

Userpic

luxandbex
Traveller
3 comments

replied 14 years ago

Going from Patras to Bari in last week of August - contacted Superfast via email and they could reserve places if I emailed them credit card details, which I am very reluctant to do. Could you guys please tell me - has anyone ever not been able to get a place (deck is fine for us) when they just turn up at the port on the day? What's people's experiences of this?
Many thanks
Andrew

Userpic

s4kas
Traveller
1 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi Interrailers,

Can someone please awser me a question: Do you need to spend/validate a travelling day on your interrail ticket, to use any ferry from Italy to Greece ? or you just have to own an interrail ticket to be able to use the ferry with the discounts ?

Thanks a lot.

Happy travelling.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

Yup, you need a travel day...but only one as it's mentioned at the bottom of the first post in this topic. ;)

Flo 8)

Userpic

michaelflynn61
Traveller
7 comments

replied 14 years ago

Sorry If I am a bit slow on this!

Thinking of taking the ferry from Greece to Italy (possibly Venice!!) around the 10th of Dec. I have a global IR pass. When you say deck is always free, do you mean outdoors/indoors or what? I know this ferry can be VERY long so am wondering if I dont reserve a cabin wherebouts I will be able to sleep and spend my time. Cos obviuously if its outdoors then in Dec that would be waaaay too cold!!

Cheers guys!!

Userpic

baobab
Traveller
128 comments

replied 14 years ago

[quote]Sorry If I am a bit slow on this!

Thinking of taking the ferry from Greece to Italy (possibly Venice!!) around the 10th of Dec. I have a global IR pass. When you say deck is always free, do you mean outdoors/indoors or what? I know this ferry can be VERY long so am wondering if I dont reserve a cabin wherebouts I will be able to sleep and spend my time. Cos obviuously if its outdoors then in Dec that would be waaaay too cold!!

Cheers guys!![/quote]

Hoi!
When ticket says deck it means you can stay at all public places of the ship such as salons with tv, airplane seats etc.. and outside.. but on 10th of December (Thursday) the ship will probably be empty so you can find a very nice and warm place inside to sleep.
If you depart from Patras and you need further help you can contact me :)
Doei!

Userpic

michaelflynn61
Traveller
7 comments

replied 14 years ago

FANTASTIC!!! Thanks a million for getting back to me so quickly. Great to know. Didnt fancy hanging around in rather uncomfortable places for what seems like its gonna be about a 30 hour journy!! Thanks, I am sure I will think up of some more questions I will ask.

Thanks again :)

Userpic

Ira10
Traveller
1 comments

replied 14 years ago

I was wondering how long does it take by ferry to travel from Venice to Patras?

Thankks!

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 14 years ago

+/- 30h

Flo 8)

Userpic

Merrpip
Traveller
19 comments

replied 14 years ago

Im assuming that to go from Bari-Patras is, costwise, exactly the same as Patras-Bari?

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

yes... :)

[u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-ferry/italy/it[/u]
[u]https://rail.cc/en/ferry-greece-italy-patras-bari-ancona-venice/f1348[/u]

Userpic

daniel_lky
Traveller
1 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi, I am going to travel with Global Flexi Pass 10/22days on 24 March. Now I am very confusing about the Ferry from Venice to Patras (Minoan Lines).
I saw mentioned that Very helpfully, Minoan Lines give free travel to InterRail flexi pass holders without requiring them to use up a 'flexi day' of travel.

Cheers.

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi.
Either your departure or arrival day has to be one of your travel days.
But often they are not interested at the ticket desk if you have filled in a travel day or not.

Userpic

Tarikq
Traveller
1 comments

replied 14 years ago

Hi guys.
I'm going to be travelling from Patras to Ancona. With the Global pass the trip will be free right?
+ Port due's + fuel charge + season (june) = about 30 euro?

And where do you sleep? On deck? On a couch? On the floor? Reception desk? :D
The trip will take about 24 hours so I'll need probably some hours of sleep.
Thanks!

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 14 years ago

hej ... right your calculation. :)
you just sleep on deck ... somewhere in a quiet corner... try to stay a bit away from chimneys as otherwise you will have some black dots on you in the morning. ;)
if you want to have a cabin, you will have to pay a supplement.
you will often meet other travelers on deck especially in summer.

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 13 years ago

Olá!

First of all, I don't know if this is the right part of the board to place this question, if I'm wrong sorry in advance! ;)

I've got a Global Inter Rail pass and I going from Barcelona to Italy in August. I want to visit Rome, Firenze and Venice, Corfu (in Greece) and the coast side of Croatia. The problem is that I don't know which route should I take since there is some alternative ways to do this. I was thinking in doing one of this options:

1) Barcelona-Rome-Bari-Corfu-Bari-Firenze-Venice-Croatia

2)Barcelona- Venice-Firenze-Rome-Bari-Corfu-Bari-Croatia (by ferry)

3)Barcelona-Rome-Firenze-Venice-Corfu-Bari-Croatia (by ferry)

Oh, and after Croatia I want to go to Budapest!!

what is best option? Is there some other route that saves me time/money?

What is the price between Bari and Corfu? Is there a direct ferry?

Thank you very much, Pedro :D

Userpic

catflo
Traveller
10 comments

replied 13 years ago

Olá Pedro,

I think there's no ferries to Croatia included in Interrail pass. I'm I wrong? If so you have to pay the ticket.

Last month I did an Interrail trip by Italy, Greece, Bulgary and Croatia and I have to say, I loved Greece!!! I suggest you to visit the country. Friendly people, cheap but great food (like in Portugal, you are also portuguese like me, right?) and nice nice nice beaches. My route was: Firenze (I went by plain to Milan) - Pisa - Rome - Lecce - Bari - Patras - Korinthos - Athens - Alexandroupolis - Thessaloniki - Halkidiki Region (great beaches) - Sofia - Zagreb - Venice - Modena - Milan(airport)

And now, because this is a post about ferries, I travel from Bari to Patras by Super Fast Ferries - Attica Group and the boat was new and nice, very gold and shiny :P and there was a shower even for people who slept on the floor, like me... 8)

Boa viagem, Pedro!

Userpic

papamitsos
Traveller
2 comments

replied 13 years ago

hello all,

I have a question concerning the crossing between your country of residence and other countries. My country of residence is Greece. Can I use the interail ticket to go to Italy by ferry or the interail ticket will start to be valid once you are outside your country of residence?

thanks in advance!

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi.

If you travel on an InterRail Global Pass, you will get the discount for the ferry.
Either departure or arrival day has to be one of your ticket travel days.

Userpic

gasparzinho
Traveller
20 comments

replied 13 years ago

Sorry guys, but i have this doubt:

I want to take a ferry from Bari to Igoumenitsa in late July. I've seen the schedules of the train from Rome to Bari and schedules for ferry from Bari to Igoumenitsa. It was at Superfast Ferries. I did a simulation and always appears to pay a fee of 26 € / person. Are there any COMPLETELY free ferry ticket with the Interrail Global Pass ticket?

Both satisfy me: The route Igoumenitsa-Bari or Brindisi-Igoumenitsa.

Thanks

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi,

as mentioned in the first post here in the topic you will have to pay for season surcharge, port and fuel taxes. In high season this may add to 26€. These costs you will have to pay but the passage itself is free. :)

Flo 8)

Userpic

gasparzinho
Traveller
20 comments

replied 13 years ago

[quote]Hi,

as mentioned in the first post here in the topic you will have to pay for season surcharge, port and fuel taxes. In high season this may add to 26€. These costs you will have to pay but the passage itself is free. :)

Flo 8) [/quote]
It is very expensive! € 26 + fees is very expensive ...

Final price... 70€/person. :|

Again, THANK YOU Flow

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 13 years ago

No...

The passage is free (on Superfast Ferries and Minoan Lines); additional fees are: season surcharge (10€ in June and September, 20€ in July and August) and port/fuel taxes (7€), so it should cost you a maximum of 27€ in high season.

I just checked on Superfast Ferries website and was quoted the 27€ for a random date in July. However, what is strange that in the first mask when you choose type of accomodation it says 53€ but that seems to be a mistake in the system. :)

Flo 8)

Userpic

gasparzinho
Traveller
20 comments

replied 13 years ago

[quote]No...

The passage is free (on Superfast Ferries and Minoan Lines); additional fees are: season surcharge (10€ in June and September, 20€ in July and August) and port/fuel taxes (7€), so it should cost you a maximum of 27€ in high season.

I just checked on Superfast Ferries website and was quoted the 27€ for a random date in July. However, what is strange that in the first mask when you choose type of accomodation it says 53€ but that seems to be a mistake in the system. :)

Flo 8) [/quote]Once again... Thanks. You are the InterRail super hero...!

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hehe, thanks, no problem! :) Still many unexplored railways out there! ;)

Userpic

AlexanderDos
Traveller
1 comments

replied 13 years ago

I will buy a ticket from 4 July to 26 July..
Could you please tell my if i at patra port to ancona i have to pay money to travell with the ferri... thanks..

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9332 comments

replied 13 years ago

Hi.
As you travel in July, there will be a seasonal supplement of EUR 20 and fuel/port tax of ~ EUR 7. Total to pay: less than EUR 30.
Have a look at this topic:
[u]https://rail.cc/en/ferry-greece-italy-patras-bari-ancona-venice/f1348[/u]

Userpic

Amelia
Traveller
4 comments

replied 12 years ago

I was travelling from Bari to Patras one week ago, all cost -27 euro with global pass, what's more, we didn't have to write another travelling day, all journey was wonderful, there was many 'interrail guys' everyone slept on the deck, honestly it was much better than sleepers! ( which if you want you have to pay 45 e per person). recommend this one!