Userpic

sebastienne
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 15 years ago

Hello!

My friend and I are planning an Eastern Europe route this August and Bucharest is one of the stops we would like to make but it is proving rather difficult. The countries we would like to tour are Poland, Hungary (with stops in Wien and Bratislava on the way), Slovenia, Croatia and Romania. Bucharest is, however, so out of the way. The trip from Budapest to Bucharest would take 15 or more hours and we would like to avoid those kind of long distances, because we only have about 23 days time. Plus, if Bucharest is our last stop we would have to pay about 300€ to fly to Helsinki from there. For some reason even flights from Bulgaria are very expensive. The best prices I have found outbound from Wien or Warsaw (under 100€ one-way) but it seems silly to buy a two-way ticket and make the long trip back to either of those cities.

Do any of you have any experience in travelling accross those areas? There's not much about Romania on the site anyways so I thought I would give it a shot here. I guess what I am trying to do is avoid expensive flights and long train trips. Any advice?

Follow this topic
Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 15 years ago

Hi,

how about taking a night train from Budapest to Bucurest? It will save you money for lodging anyway... I think it gets to Bucurest around 10am, which will give you plenty of daytime to discover Bucurest.

About flying to helsinki - i had a look around and can't find any real budget connections. Is it not an option to start in Bucurest and then work your way up to poland and then cross over to scandinavia through germany/denmark/sweden (you can do most of this overnight) ?

Cheers,

AO

Userpic

sebastienne
Traveller
1 comments

replied 15 years ago

[quote]how about taking a night train from Budapest to Bucurest? It will save you money for lodging anyway... I think it gets to Bucurest around 10am, which will give you plenty of daytime to discover Bucurest.[/quote]

The website I was checking out railway connections at told me it takes 15h from Budapest to Bucharest, and it seemed like the trains were also speedy ones so they would charge me extra for them. Where did you make those calculations? There are so many websites with EU train routes that I get confused.

[quote]About flying to helsinki - i had a look around and can't find any real budget connections. If you can find any cheaper deals. Is it not an option to start in Bucurest and then work your way up to poland and then cross over to scandinavia through germany/denmark/sweden (you can do most of this overnight) ?[/quote]

Mm, yes, it is an option to start in Bucharest, I guess, but like I said, we would have to spend 300€ on train tickets to Budapest per person. :/ The interrail pass costs 309€ and we can travel for 22 days. It doesn't really make sense to spend that much money on one ticket. Thank you for the link, though! That will come in handy!

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 15 years ago

about Budapest to Bucharest:
Budapest-Keleti pu Dep.: 1745
Bucuresti Nord Arr.: 0902

have a look at this topic: [u]https://rail.cc/en/budapest-bucharest-night-train/f1605[/u]
and for European timetables use this link: [u]https://rail.cc/en/search-interrail-route[/u]

:)

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 15 years ago

I took the train three times, and I'm not sure whether i needed to pay a supplement. I think not, and anyway if i did, it wasn't much (maybe around EUR 6 - for a seat though).

Have a great trip,

AO