Userpic

DadiHelz
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 11 years ago

Hi there!

Me and my girlfriend are going on a three week camping trip in the UK (including Scotland, Wales and probably Ireland) and I was wondering if anyone has any experience that he/she could share with us.
We intend on taking trains between places and we are going to buy a 10 days within 22 days InterRail ticket.
I would like to know if there is any trouble getting from cities / towns (we plan on staying mainly in the country side) to camping sites. The places that we have already decided to stay in are Loch Ness and just somewhere in Cornwall, and we would love to hear suggestions on where else to camp. :)

Daði

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 11 years ago

Hej Daði,

if you are in Scotland, you can camp anywhere in the countryside, as long as you stay away from buildings and the big hiking trails and do not damage nature (of course). If it is possible it is also a good idea to ask the owner of the land for his permission but in principle you should not have troubles. I would go with the Fort William - Mallaig line in the West Highlands, definitely one of the most beautiful railway lines in Europe!

Cant give you other advice though...but if you want to camp while travelling by train, have a look at a railway map first, to see where railways run and stay along these lines.
:arr: [u]https://rail.cc/en/train-ticket-railmap-of-europe[/u]
In Cornwall, this would mean staying along the south coast where the main line from London to Penzance runs, with several small branch lines to the country side.
In Ireland, the network is not very dense, especially in the rural west of the country; also, the lines are mostly orientated towards Dublin, so tangenital connections might be difficult.

Flo 8)

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1334 comments

replied 11 years ago

as for going station-camping, YES-this will be the usual ''PITA=pain in the ass.

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1334 comments

replied 11 years ago

as most/nearly all campins are well away from major towns and about anyone arrives with car. many will not even take what they consider as ''trash'' arriving on foot. Compared to hosteling it also does not save very much-hostels in UK/SYA and YHA all are pretty well equipped.