Userpic

bobbydazzler
Traveller
1 comments

Posted 15 years ago

which are best to buy and where from, i.e what are the best makes

also are the cheap ebay ones any good, im going away for 1 month and thinking of either a 60+10 or a 70+10

thanks rob

Follow this topic
Userpic

admin
Traveller
203 comments

replied 15 years ago

Hi there,

This has been discussed here before and the general consensus was not to take too big a sack. The bigger the sack, the more stuff you'll pack, the more painful your back. They do get heavier as you walk around lost, looking for your hostel, in the blazing sun in Barcelona.

Most people mentioned around 60 litres as their choice. I take a 55 litre pack (16 kilos) for a month and it's fine. Remember, if you're flying to a start destination, airlines tend to have 20 kilo or less maximums before they apply hefty surcharges.

On price: I got mine, which I use every year, for 20 pounds from Millets and, 8 years on, it's doing fine. You can, of course pay as much as you like. You can buy on the net or just walk into Blacks, Millets, or other mountain shops and you'll see exactly what you're getting in terms of size and material etc. You can also check out a sack in any shop and then perhaps find and buy it cheaper online.

Hope this is helpful. Have a most excellent trip.

iaink

[quote]which are best to buy and where from, i.e what are the best makes

also are the cheap ebay ones any good, im going away for 1 month and thinking of either a 60+10 or a 70+10

thanks rob[/quote]

Userpic

SiDUDe
Traveller
752 comments

replied 15 years ago

I have to declare a bias here, I work in one of the slightly higher end outdoor shops.

However, wherever you choose to purchase always try to get the bag on your back with some weight in before you purchase. Also, see if you can get it fitted/fit it yourself so that the hipbelt is in the correct position and the back length is correct.

I agree with iaink, 50-65 litres is fine for a month, you will just fill a bigger bag, and have to carry more!

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 15 years ago

For me a 60l backpack is also enough ... you don't have fun carrying a bigger one with you !
and in most of the hostels you can wash your clothes. so it is no problem...! :)

Userpic

Thomas S
Traveller
26 comments

replied 15 years ago

I used a 45 L backpack when I was interrailing last month, and it was more than sufficient (I have a slightly paranoid habit of bringing way too many books, so they took up quite a lot of space & weight).

On the other hand, I didn't bring tent, sleeping bag or other kinds of camping gear.

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 15 years ago

that's right ... books are always a big part in the backpack ... ;)
and if you only stay in hostels, you only need clothes for 4-5 days and then you just wash it in one of the hostels you stay...
I always pack my backpack and when everything is in it, I restart checking it and put 50% of the things inside out of it... as it is always too much ...! :)