Userpic

PhoebeMae
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 5 years ago

Hi-

Me and my friend are planning an internal trip in July through Europe.
We are inexperienced with this and we are struggling with how to get from Athens to Split as it says there are either no trains or only certain days when they are available.
Please help, very stressed.

Thank you!
Phoebe.

Follow this topic
Userpic

Seewulf
Traveller
4 comments

replied 5 years ago

Usually you could go from Athens via Thessaloniki,Belgrade,Zagreb - Split. But there is sometimes a bus replacement from Thessaloniki to the border of North Macedonia. This train only have seats and couchette cars. In Belgrade the train from Thessaloniki arrives on a differnt station as the train to Zagreb. I recommend to stay one night in Belgrad because the connection time is very tight (2h). Another trip i can recommend is from Belgrad via Montenegro and Dubrovnik to Split. Athens Thessaloniki-Belgrad- Podgorica,Sutomore or Bar (i recommend to stay in Sutomore)- then with Bus from Bar,Sutomore(1x daily) or Podgorica(more than 3times a day) to Dubrovnik - Dubrovnik(with ferry or Bus)- Split. Hope it helps.

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 5 years ago

Hi Phoebe,

as mentioned above there is not remotely a direct train connection between Athens and Split. If you want to go by train you have to travel as mentioned by Seewulf via Thessaloniki - Belgrade - Zagreb. This would include two overnight trips.
You could actually think about taking two ferries - Patras - Ancona and Ancona - Split (but this wouldnt be much faster) or travel as described above along the coast.

What is your overall planned route?

Flo