Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

Posted 15 years ago

I bought my interrail ticket as 1st class, not 2nd class which is the standard choice. It cost approximately 20% more. Now I'm not sure if I've wasted my money a little; is there any big point in going 1st class? Will I need less supplements and get a bigger choice in trains? As I travel alone, will I meet fewer interrailers if I travel 1st class?

For the record, I'm going to travel in Western Europe, perhaps focusing on The Netherlands, France, Spain, and hopefully ending up in Portugal before turning back.

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 15 years ago

Hi. :)
you will have more comfort and more space. you normally need no reservation as there are always enough seats in first class available. but the supplements (if needed - you will find a list here: [u]https://rail.cc/en/interrail-train-reservation[/u] ) you have to pay like in the 2nd class.

about meeting InterRailers: sometimes you meet a lot of InterRailers, especially in night-trains... but most of them as well somewhere sitting on the station or as well in hostels - you won't miss them ...! :)
and on night-trains you can use the same cabins, couchettes and so on like 2nd class InterRailers ... no problem for you to downgrade. :)

you will see ... you did not wasted your money ... sometimes it is really nice just to have a lot of space, silence and a bit luxury like in the 1st class high speed trains! :)

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 15 years ago

Hi Peter :-)

This sounds great. I'm really looking forward to going now :-)

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 15 years ago

question: with a 1st class ticket, do you have to pay the same amount supplement/reservation for eg a couchette?

seems fair you should get a discount... ?

Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 15 years ago

hej hej ... and thanks for your CS mail ... I will reply soon! :)
on the first class you often pay a higher supplement on super-fast-day-trains as often a meal and drinks are included.
on night trains it is the same like for 2nd class accommodation. and you have some more special options, super-luxury-cabins ...! :)
have a nice evening! :)