1st class ticket: any point?

hni @ 04-07-2008 07:50

I bought my interrail ticket as 1st class, not 2nd class which is the standard choice. It cost approximately 20% more. Now I'm not sure if I've wasted my money a little; is there any big point in going 1st class? Will I need less supplements and get a bigger choice in trains? As I travel alone, will I meet fewer interrailers if I travel 1st class?

For the record, I'm going to travel in Western Europe, perhaps focusing on The Netherlands, France, Spain, and hopefully ending up in Portugal before turning back.

Pete @ 04-07-2008 10:09

Hi. 🙂
you will have more comfort and more space. you normally need no reservation as there are always enough seats in first class available. but the supplements (if needed - you will find a list here: https://rail.cc/en/interrail-train-reservation ) you have to pay like in the 2nd class.

about meeting InterRailers: sometimes you meet a lot of InterRailers, especially in night-trains... but most of them as well somewhere sitting on the station or as well in hostels - you won't miss them ...! 🙂
and on night-trains you can use the same cabins, couchettes and so on like 2nd class InterRailers ... no problem for you to downgrade. 🙂

you will see ... you did not wasted your money ... sometimes it is really nice just to have a lot of space, silence and a bit luxury like in the 1st class high speed trains! 🙂

hni @ 04-07-2008 13:12

Hi Peter :-)

This sounds great. I'm really looking forward to going now :-)

AlphaOmega @ 14-07-2008 19:17

question: with a 1st class ticket, do you have to pay the same amount supplement/reservation for eg a couchette?

seems fair you should get a discount... ?

Pete @ 14-07-2008 19:23

hej hej ... and thanks for your CS mail ... I will reply soon! 🙂
on the first class you often pay a higher supplement on super-fast-day-trains as often a meal and drinks are included.
on night trains it is the same like for 2nd class accommodation. and you have some more special options, super-luxury-cabins ...! 🙂
have a nice evening! 🙂

Please login to write a message.

about railcc: We are real travellers and offer honest and well-grounded tips and tricks for your train journey.

rail.cc is partner and friend of
Deutsche Bahn Logo
Interrail Logo
Eurail Logo
Omio Logo
Trainline Logo
ACPRail Logo
NS Logo
SNCB Logo
Booking.com Logo
China Highlights Logo
12GoAsia Logo
Flixtrain Logo
Inlandsbanan Logo
Nightjet Logo
SJ Logo
RealRussia Logo
Kiwi.com Logo
Airbnb Logo
DJI Logo
Rentalcars Logo

COOKIES: by use of the railcc website, you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy. For further information about the use and management of our cookies, we ask you to accept our cookies policy.