Eurail train reservations
Österreichische Bundesbahnen (ÖBB)
Eurail and S-Bahn (S). How to buy a reservation or can I travel for free. Train information, photos and videos.
S-Bahn ("Schnellbahn") services are suburban trains operating around the larger cities. Originally used only for suburban services in and around Vienna the "S-Bahn" brand is now used for regional trains in and around many state capitals of Austria.
In Vienna, S-Bahn services frequently connect the city centre with the suburbs. Each line usually is operated in intervals of 30 minutes. This results in a very frequent service on the trunk line through Vienna.
Outside of Vienna and Lower Austria you can find S-Bahn trains in the following states:
- Styria (mostly services from/to Graz)
- Carinthia (almost all regional trains)
- Upper Austria (services from/to Linz)
- Salzburg (services from/to Salzburg)
- Tyrol (almost all regional trains)
- Vorarlberg (almost all regional trains)
In these states, regional trains have been branded "S-Bahn" mainly for marketing reasons. Train frequencies can vary between 30 and 60 minutes, sometimes (on weekends and in the evening) even more.
There are several different types of trains. All are 2nd class only.
- Cityjet: electro multiple unit, most modern trains; low-floor, air-condition, power sockets, equipped for persons with reduced mobility, bicycle storage. Wifi on some trains
- Talent: electro multiple unit;low-floor, air-condition, equipped for persons with reduced mobility, bicycle storage
- Desiro: diesel multiple unit; low-floor, air-condition, equipped for persons with reduced mobility, bicycle storage
- City Shuttle: single-deck carriages; high-floor, no air-condition, bicycle storage
- City Shuttle/Wiesel: double-deck carriages; low-floor, air-condition, equipped for persons with reduced mobility, bicycle storage
Seat reservation is not possible.
Buy your official Eurail pass via the rail.cc/eurail.com partner link. Get a free PLUS account on rail.cc. With your purchase you support all the free information on rail.cc. Thank you!
Do you have further questions and need assistance? Do not hesitate to ask in our friendly forum where you always get detailed help.
Eurail in Austria
How to travel by Eurail in Austria. Overview and information to travel routes, Austrian train types, night trains and Eurail reservations.