Userpic

Sophia1996
Traveller
0 comments

Posted 7 years ago

Hi :)
I\'m currently planning my first ever Interrail. I want to travel with a friend next spring/summer. We\'ve got a few cities that we really want to see, we just don\'t know how to set up the perfect route.
We\'re from Munich in Germany. We definitely want to go to Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Oslo and Stockholm. So what would be the best order?
I think our biggest problem is that from Amsterdam to Copenhagen we\'d have to go through Germany, and we aren\'t allowed to do that, are we? The rule is that one can\'t be in their home country more than twice, right?
We actually wouldn\'t mind taking the plane from Amsterdam to Oslo (or even taking it further and visit Edinburgh :) ), but if there\'s any alternative at all, we\'d surely prefer that since the plane ride would kind of destroy that whole Interrail train feeling.
What would you suggest?
And do you think the 5 days in 15 days travel ticket would be enough (at least if we stick to the original route we\'d have 5 travel days).
Also, are the scenic trains listed in the normal train timetable? If we ever decided to add that scenic train ride from Bergen to Oslo.
I know, it\'s a lot we\'ve planned, we\'re also just people who like to plan in advance.
Thanks a lot!
Sophia

Follow this topic
Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 7 years ago

Hi Sophia,

since the trips from Munich to/from the Dutch and Danish borders are quite long I think the best option would be to get a separate ticket for the trip from Copenhagen to Amsterdam. However, it would be also possible to use one of your inbound/outbound trips to travel from Flensburg to the Dutch border; in that case you would need an extra ticket to travel home to Munich - you would have to look whichever option is cheaper.

You can buy a ticket Copenhagen - Amsterdam from DB; please use our partner link [ux]https://rail.shop/bahn[/ux] - no extra costs for you of course.
If you do so; the cheapest option would be to enter two "via stops" or "Zwischenhalte": Flensburg and Bad Bentheim, then deselect long distance trains between these two stations. That way you travel with regional trains only but get tickets from 39€. However the trip would be quite long: from 0900 to 2300.
If you travel all the way with long distance trains you should book well in advance to get cheap tickets. That way you would not need a travel day to get from Copenhagen to Amsterdam.

If you travel as explained above, you can travel with a 5in15 ticket:
Travel day 1: Munich - Copenhagen
Travel day 2: Copenhagen - Oslo
Travel day 3: Oslo - Stockholm
Travel day 4: Stockholm - Copenhagen
Travel day 5: Amsterdam - Munich

Copenhagen - Amsterdam would be covered by a separate ticket.

If you want to add Oslo - Bergen to your trip, you probably will have to get a 7 days within a month ticket.

[quote]Also, are the scenic trains listed in the normal train timetable? If we ever decided to add that scenic train ride from Bergen to Oslo.[/quote]

There are no specific "tourist trains" on the Oslo to Bergen line - the line is very scenic of course, just board a regular train to Bergen and enjoy. :)
An interesting branch line is the Flam Line: [u]https://rail.cc/blog/the-flam-railway/[/u]

To support our work, please buy your Interrail ticket at no extra costs via our partner link: [ux]http://rail.shop/interrail[/ux] - thank you :)

Flo 8)