Userpic

Pjack312
Traveller
2 comments

Posted 12 years ago

Hello,

As an EU citizen, living in an EU country which you do not have a passport of. How can you prove your residency? There is no laws anymore which require you to do this, no stamps or documents, you are simply a resident of the EU.

I have read most of the posts here regarding residency but none of them seemed to address this important question. It is what bothered me the most when buying the interrail ticket. I have already bought my interrail ticket, and telling me to change my residency to my country of nationality is not a solution, and would be against the interrail policy. At the same time I do not want to experience any troubles with train conductors.

Cheers.

Follow this topic
Userpic

Peter
Traveller
9331 comments

replied 12 years ago

Hi.

These are the official words:

You can travel with InterRail [...] more than 6 months [...].
Your Passport, travel ID or residency card should show this. You can prove your current address by showing governmental certificates, bank receipts, telephone bills or student visa.

Also is said: You can prove your current address by showing governmental certificates, bank receipts, telephone bills or student visa. One of these documents should mention your address, and a date of longer than 6 months ago.

Peter :)

Userpic

nltrainer
Traveller
1335 comments

replied 12 years ago

even for ALL EU-citizens this applies: you canNOT just stay anywhere for longer as 3/6 month (differs per country). In that case you MUST have some registration in the new country. The problem only ariss when you stay longer in another country as your passport is from: in that case you need proof. (and you might be lucky-it may be worthwhile that your original country is payable in stead of your new.............

Userpic

Pjack312
Traveller
2 comments

replied 12 years ago

Yeah, this makes sense. All EU-citizens must be registered somewhere but proving residence is not as simple, especially if you live in an EU country which is not your own. I will go pick up a document from the town council which should be sufficient proof, however I think this subject should be brought to more attention by interrail from the looks of the posts on this forum .
I will give an example, in France all EU citizens from the original accession countries, and EEA citizens and their family members have the right to live and work in France and do not require a work or residence permit. This is becoming the case for almost all EU countries. Proof of residence needs documents which may not always be within easy reach as they are almost never needed.

Userpic

anonymous
Traveller
2467 comments

replied 7 years ago

Hello,

I am now currently doing my erasmus(exchange) for one semester in warsaw Poland. My student VIsa is valid for 6 months. However I don\'t have any residence card issued by the goverment. How can I proof my residency in here? Lease contract would not be enough right?

Userpic

Flo
Traveller
10723 comments

replied 7 years ago

Hi!

The official rules regarding proof of residency are:

[m]What can be used as proof of residence?
Your residence can be proved with official government-issued residency papers. This must be a valid document that clearly shows that you\\\'re an official resident of the country you live in (for example, a residence card).

Your proof of residence will be accepted if:

It is issued by the government.

It is valid for the entire duration of your Interrail trip.

It has an official mark or stamp from the issuing body.

It clearly states the issuing country.

It clearly states your name.

Documents such as bills, rental contracts or bank statements cannot be used. Travel visas and the residency field of a passport are also not accepted as proof of residency.[/m]

What is your nationality and where do you want to travel with Interrail?

To support us, buy your Interrail pass via our partner link to interrail.eu: [ux]https://rail.shop/interrail[/ux] - thank you! :)

Flo 8)